Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   taurus 9mm revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/taurus-9mm-revolver-72850/)

jeremyx28 09-20-2012 02:36 PM

taurus 9mm revolver

So, I'm a fan of 9mm. I have two 9mm semi autos, a glock 17 and a sccy cpx2. I was in my lgs the other day and saw a Taurus 9mm revolver, and fell in love with it. They have it priced around $400, the lgs is quite negotiable. Just curious if anyone owns or has experience with these. The only thing I don't like is that it has an external hammer. I'm more of a modern gun enthusiast and to me, the internal hammer revolvers give them a much more modern look.

ineverFTF 09-20-2012 02:38 PM

If you don't like the external hammer just bob it.

I like taurus revolvers. Offer him 300 and negotiate from there. 400 sounds a tad high but if he won't budge than 400 is ok.
I say get it. I love revolvers and 9mm is cheap to shoot and revolvers will eat anything you load em with.

jeremyx28 09-20-2012 03:36 PM

What do you mean by "bob it"?

ineverFTF 09-20-2012 03:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyx28
What do you mean by "bob it"?

Regular hammer
Attachment 59671

Bobbed hammer

Attachment 59672

JD1969 09-20-2012 03:54 PM

This is, of course, pure opinion.
Why bother with a 9mm revolver? The 9mm is a decent caliber, but one of it's great attributes is capacity, which is not something you really get with a wheel gun. Why not take advantage of the revolvers ability to shoot more powerful loads, such as a .357. Also keep in mind that a bobbed or internal hammer will take away the ability to fire the revolver in single action. This is not always a bad thing, it just depends on the intended use. As I type this I have a S&W 642 in my pocket. It is an internal hammer, double action only. I picked it because I wanted a handgun for pocket carry. I felt the internal hammer would be good at keeping pocket lint and other debris out of the gun and not snag when I draw. YMMV

Garadex 09-20-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD1969
This is, of course, pure opinion.
Why bother with a 9mm revolver? The 9mm is a decent caliber, but one of it's great attributes is capacity, which is not something you really get with a wheel gun. Why not take advantage of the revolvers ability to shoot more powerful loads, such as a .357.

Cheaper to shoot the 9 if you don't reload.

Unimproved 09-25-2012 01:21 PM

I own a Ruger SP-101 9mm with a three inch barrel and wouldn't trade it for any .38 caliber snub. The velocity and energy delivered with it spanks 38's across the board.

The 9mm is nearly half the price to shoot, which translates into more trigger time. I find it hard to justify the time and effort involved in reloading so I buy factory ammo on sale in quantity.

The high capacity option of 9mm may have been true 25 years ago but advancements in bullet technology has changed in favor of the Luger cartridge, plus the fact I choose to carry a snub gun makes capacity moot to me.

I own and carry all manner of handguns but find myself to favor the SP-101 and a moonclip reload most of the time. The trigger was great from the factory and has only gotten better after thousands and thousands of rounds.

Having said all this doesn't change the fact that we all have free will to buy, carry and shoot whatever handgun we want. Far be it from me to judge what another person chooses to own.

tekarra 09-27-2012 11:00 PM

My S&W 940 is one of my favourite revolvers. Even though it has a limited capacity, it still packs the punch of a .357 in a short barrel.

Overkill0084 09-27-2012 11:46 PM

New? Blue? Stainless? For a new Stainless $400 isn't really that bad. It's not great, but for a brick & mortar business it's not unreasonable, considering.
Looks aside, try using it before you bob the hammer. Unless you will be using it double action only, you may find the bobbed hammer annoying after a while.
I've never seen the point of 9 mm in a revolver. You get almost all of the pressure of .357 mag without the performance and versatility.

danf_fl 09-28-2012 12:00 AM

Okay, which model of Taurus?
The prices vary.