Taurus - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 03:17 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I currently own a Taurus Judge and a Taurus Ulta-light .38. I think that they are both pretty good revolvers. I do not beat them up or abuse them, maybe have no more than 500 rounds in the .38 and 100 rounds in the Judge. Over the years I have heard the Taurus was not a great manufacturer of "quality" firearms. But in my opinion if you take care of them they will do whatever you need them to do.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:42 AM   #12

Liked 245 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I wouldn't justify the purchase of a Taurus just because I was too damn cheap to put a dab of blue Loctite on my Smith cylinder latch screw.

Worked in a shop, even volume adjusted Taurus has a crappy quality problem.

Fixed many new and used (some like new) revolvers and autos. Design, execution of machining, and metallurgical issues.

Several customers said "screw Taurus" (on their own accord) and went Smith. Not a one has complained about making the switch. Some customers who got bad Taurus rigs sent them back per the fabulous warranty. Sometimes Taurus fixed it. 50% of the time the gun had to be sent back, or the problem wasn't fixed and the person traded it off to a buddy they really didn't like (I assume).

Some guns have gone back 3 times or more.

When you send one back, there's no real information exchange on when it'll return. Limbo as long as 9 months, several times.

So bad..........I won't fix or even touch a damn Taurus. Even when my buds at the shop know I could fix it. Screw 'em (the guns, not my buds).

Now, along with the bad.........I always tell the good.

A customer started reloading and double charged a .45 Colt load, blew his new Judge up. Dealer called, Taurus said send it in. 9 months go by and we hear nothing. Then one day a box shows up with a new Judge. No charge.

They took care of a customer that didn't deserve it.

That was pretty cool.

And the only good thing I can say about Taurus.

Dozens of guns I've worked on, seen dozens of others have problems. From multiple wholesalers over 2 yrs span (when I worked there) over different models and types.

Simply more of a crap shoot than many will admit to.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:03 AM   #13

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Blah blah blah.

My Taurus pt92afs has 20k through it on original springs with no problems.

2-24/7's that needed warranty. One barrel, one extractor.

A 24/7 compact with no issues.

Pt100afs, 85ul and 66 with no issues.

Considering price and warranty, **** yes, ill buy another.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:04 AM   #14

Inadvertent duplicate post

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Last edited by willfully armed; 06-17-2012 at 05:10 AM.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #15

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Here's where the issue of manufacturer gets sticky. This is true for pretty much everything mass produced.

You have seen good testimonials for Taurus. I can add to them as we own two revolvers of theirs. I have a compact .357 and the wife, a .38. Both have been fine and haven't the need to be sent in for anything.

You have seen a few that have posted not so flattering statements for Taurus. There's no reason to disbelieve their statements.

I know of people that love their Hyundai's. One of my best friends is in the process of lemon lawing his 2011 Sonata. I know of ravenously loyal Chevrolet owners. I've owned one and as a result will never own a GM product again. It has nothing to do with them being Government Motors. I know of many loyal Harley Davidson owners and have intentions of becoming one in the forseeable future myself when finances permit. I also know of level headed motorcyclists whom will never own one and will cite chapter and verse legitimate reasons why not. I have heard criticism of Kimber for reason. Others extoll the virtues of those very expensive 1911s every chance they get.

In this era of mass production where true craftsmanship has all but become a lost art, you will be hard pressed to find perfection in most anything. This is where the entire issue of asking opinions can be a slippery slope, especially with opinionated people like most of us are. Use your best judgment here, along with your budget.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #16

Liked 2188 Times on 1290 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms View Post
Here's where the issue of manufacturer gets sticky. This is true for pretty much everything mass produced.

You have seen good testimonials for Taurus. I can add to them as we own two revolvers of theirs. I have a compact .357 and the wife, a .38. Both have been fine and haven't the need to be sent in for anything.

You have seen a few that have posted not so flattering statements for Taurus. There's no reason to disbelieve their statements.

I know of people that love their Hyundai's. One of my best friends is in the process of lemon lawing his 2011 Sonata. I know of ravenously loyal Chevrolet owners. I've owned one and as a result will never own a GM product again. It has nothing to do with them being Government Motors. I know of many loyal Harley Davidson owners and have intentions of becoming one in the forseeable future myself when finances permit. I also know of level headed motorcyclists whom will never own one and will cite chapter and verse legitimate reasons why not. I have heard criticism of Kimber for reason. Others extoll the virtues of those very expensive 1911s every chance they get.

In this era of mass production where true craftsmanship has all but become a lost art, you will be hard pressed to find perfection in most anything. This is where the entire issue of asking opinions can be a slippery slope, especially with opinionated people like most of us are. Use your best judgment here, along with your budget.
I agree.

My experience just seems to indicate a higher percentage of problems compared with other brands that I saw brought in. Also, the degree of the problems.

I get having screws back out, I understand not getting a barrel rib lined up exactly square with the top front corners of a frame once it is screwed or pressed it. I get springs failing, finishes not being perfect. But those are fairly small problems compared to a crane breaking, a cylinder falling off or having a barrel shoot off. Add the frequency of the small problems and it just seemed like too much of a risk for my money.

I might consider buying a used one from a friend after it had been proven reliable.

Other than that I kind of think of Taurus as Forest Gump's mom thought of a box of chocolates.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #17

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma
Hey guys. I'm looking into buying the taurus 992 revolver. I'm worried however of its quality since I have never purchased a taurus. I know their customer support is no help so hopefully I would never have to deal with them. So my question would be, how does taurus hold up with other firearm manufacturers?
I will say this. A bullet got stuck in the barrel of my judge. I didn't realize it and shot 2 more rounds. The gun didn't blow apart or get any damage so their parts must be pretty durable

Old 06-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've owned two and I now own zero. I had two Trackers, 970 and 44. My 44 went back to the factory with no results. My 970 started to lose it's timing on 3 cylinders (not real bad, but I didn't want to try their CS again). I fixed the 44 myself and the 970 went to a local pawn shop.

Two for two is not very good odds so unless I get a screaming deal, there's no room in my safe.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #19

and our 2011 sonata has needed tires, rear wheel bearing, and shift control circuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastRound View Post
I've owned two and I now own zero. I had two Trackers, 970 and 44. My 44 went back to the factory with no results. My 970 started to lose it's timing on 3 cylinders (not real bad, but I didn't want to try their CS again). I fixed the 44 myself and the 970 went to a local pawn shop.

Two for two is not very good odds so unless I get a screaming deal, there's no room in my safe.
So you knowingly sold a defective gun to some poor unknowing schlub?

Old 06-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
and our 2011 sonata has needed tires, rear wheel bearing, and shift control circuit

So you knowingly sold a defective gun to some poor unknowing schlub?
No, read my post again. I never said it didn't work or it was defective. I said it was not that bad, and I sold it to a pawn shop for half price and they inspected and approved the gun by their standards. You can try to twist my words all you want, but I know Taurus quality first hand.