Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Taurus

Hey guys. I'm looking into buying the taurus 992 revolver. I'm worried however of its quality since I have never purchased a taurus. I know their customer support is no help so hopefully I would never have to deal with them. So my question would be, how does taurus hold up with other firearm manufacturers?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2012, 03:27 AM   #2

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Every Taurus owner I've ever spoken to loved them and with a lifetime warranty and budget prices, what's not to like? I mean your not going to get a 900 dollar shooter for 300 bucks but for 300 bucks you get a revolver that goes bang every time you pull the trigger.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:29 AM   #3

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

Owned 3 different models in the past. 2 9mm and a .38 special. No problems out of any. At least 1000 rnds out of each

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2276 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I have not had any problems with the Taurus revolver.
My sister had the hammer break on her .22 revolver, but was too lazy to get it repaired. Still shoots it DA.

There were some threads about poly framed Taurus models that the quality control was "iffy".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 06-16-2012, 12:14 PM   #5

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

MOST of the Taurus revolvers I've owned were fine - 6 mabe 8 i think - IMO the odds are in your favor

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #6

Liked 1709 Times on 1034 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I worked at a range/shop that carried Taurus guns. We got a lot back in for service and repairs. Repair times were pretty long. Things I saw broken were, cylinder releases. Broken hammer. Broken cranes. Broken springs, Broken trigger pins, PT 92 that had the locking block replaced three times (rental gun). And one case of a barrel that shot off (yep, shot off). I figure that is a pretty isolated incident, but oddly enough when browsing around the internet I stumbled across someone who had causght a Taurus barrel in mid flight in a picture. I had to save the picture because a lot of folks never beleived me when I would tell them that I had seen a Taurus with a barrel shot off.

Most Taurus owners get decent guns. Most Taurus owners really like them. But I've seen enough problems that I personally avoid them. I'd save and buy a Smith and Wesson, a Ruger, or a Colt. Or I would find a used example of any of the above before I bought a Taurus.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #7
Resident Lurker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 669 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 1799

Nothing wrong with MOST of them and with the warranty if anything ever does go wrong they will fix it.

Just be aware of what you are getting, its not going to match a S&W, Colt or Ruger, but if you want a budget gun that isn't junk. Taurus may be the way to go.

I own a Taurus PT 1911 .45, it had a LONG break in period and a trip back to taurus the same day I bought it for a bad sear(yes it was new), but it works very well now.

I swore that I would never own another Taurus but I've since changed my mind.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #8

Default Taurus & S&W Revolvers

I have a Taurus M327 and a S&W 632 in 327 Federal Magnum. I like them both, but must tighten sight screw and cylinder release screw on the S&W every 100 rounds or so. Taurus heavier, seems built well, never a problem in more than 1000 rounds.

Old 06-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #9

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I had an M-85 ultra lite. It shaved lead when it was brand new right out of the box. Had a Millenium Pro that started with a weak primer strike. It finaly couldnt set off a round at all. Returned both to the shop where I bought them. He bought them both back at full refund. Jimmy was a great dealer. Taurus Sucks! I will never buy another.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16840 Times on 9758 Posts
Likes Given: 43911

given the information i have read, both good and bad about Taurus, and i currently own a Taurus revolver, i bellieve them to be hit or miss in quality. now my current revolver works just fine and it may be one of the lucky ones, but it is also several years old. but given what ihave read of others experiance with the newer ones, i doubt i will ever buy another until Taurus improves their QC procedures. any maker can make a bad firearm from time to time, but QC is where you weed them out before they ever get to the retailer to be sold to the public. so if you decide to buy, you might get a good or possibly a bad one.

my opinion on this is my personal one. i actually have owned several in the past and really like some of their offerings. but my confidence in them at the this time isn't high enough for me to purchase another one of their products.

Last edited by Axxe55; 06-16-2012 at 02:06 PM.