Taurus 38's & 357 revolvers, trustworthy or not? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus 38's & 357 revolvers, trustworthy or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #21
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 866 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 400

I have a PT 1911 which I love and have had zero problems with the wife has a Taurus Ultra-Lite P85 in 38 spl. which has been very reliable and lastly I have a Millennium Pro in 45 ACP which makes a great CCW and its been 100% so far and I've owned it for over 3 years. I think that when any manufacturer has a bad run it takes a long time if ever to recover their reputation. My experience has been very positive and I would not hesitate to buy another one.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #22

Liked 1561 Times on 938 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
I have a PT 1911 which I love and have had zero problems with the wife has a Taurus Ultra-Lite P85 in 38 spl. which has been very reliable and lastly I have a Millennium Pro in 45 ACP which makes a great CCW and its been 100% so far and I've owned it for over 3 years. I think that when any manufacturer has a bad run it takes a long time if ever to recover their reputation. My experience has been very positive and I would not hesitate to buy another one.
I owned a Taurus revolver that was excellent in every way until the forcing cone was cracked by bad reload ammo.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 02-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #23

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have a 606, 357 Mag, 6 shot snub with ported barrel. After about 50 rounds it starting indexing incorrectly and would spit out copper jacketing from the sides of the cylinder. Sent it back to Taurus and got it back indexing correctly, cleaned and polished. Never had a problem since. But it is not a high round pistol. If I want to shoot lots of rounds, I use my Python.

Old 02-15-2012, 01:14 PM   #24
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I had a Taurus revolver about 20 years ago, the timing was off and I had to send it back to Taurus, I sold it and bought a S&W. My dad has had a few Rossi revolvers and swears by them.
I also have a PT92 from the early 90s, the locking block broke at a few hundred rounds, I replaced the part and it has been fine. Very accurate nice shooting pistol.
I've heard Taurus has improved in quality, I have been thinking about a TCP.
If you are looking for something other than Taurus/Rossi think about Ruger. Ruger splits the difference price wise between Taurus and S&W.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I owned many taurus' in my beginning years of firearms ownage. I had nothing but trouble. Revolvers or semi-auto. Many people get one that is "usable". Not I! Taurus quality control is just to iffy for me to ever consider buying one for the remainder of my life. IMO save a bit more and get a smith, ruger, cz, sig, beretta, Ect...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 02-16-2012, 04:12 AM   #26

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Never owned one, but have read more threads on many gun forums about problems with them. Probably the number one gun that people complain about. Why not look for a used Ruger in .38 or .357? A used Ruger would be better then any new Taurus and the price might pretty close. There is a thread on the general handgun forum about a Taurus that blew up on him.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:02 AM   #27

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've had Taurus and Rossi revos over the years and really can't find anything bad to say about them. They all did what they where bought to do. I do think Taurus has got better over the years. The newer ones I've shot just seem better built (more solid) then the older ones I've had. And I have to admit I love the PT1911..But that's anothjer thread..heh

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

See two posts above.

Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 02-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #29

I've owned...hrm...we'll say several Taurus firearms, most of them revolvers. Owned 2 .38 caliber revolvers and a .357 revolver. All of them worked perfectly fine. Never had a functionality problem with any of them whatsoever and I shot them a lot. The oldest of the bunch was a small 2 inch barreled .38 that I just couldn't keep on paper at any distance. The rest shot perfectly well and perfectly straight with everything including range ammo. I don't own any Taurus firearms anymore but that's not out of anger or disappointment in any way. If the price was right and a deal fell into my lap, I'd certainly buy another.

All that having been said, if you're in the market for an affordable, reliable revolver, don't leave Charter out of the equation. Just my two pennies. Have a great one!

Josh

http://www.joshuasilverman.com

Old 02-22-2012, 10:04 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

If you can live with a .38 Special I would go for a new S&W, They have several models out there that can be had new cheaper than many Tauruses, or is that Taurusi? Failing that, consider a Ruger.