Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Taurus .327 cylinder jamming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Default Taurus .327 cylinder jamming

Bought the wife a Taurus 327 for Valentine day.Took her to the range for the first time today and right away we experienced misfires and the cylinder jamming.Antone got any ideas as to what might be causing this?Help would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2009, 03:09 AM   #2

I had the same thing happen on a Taurus 670. I sent it back and they replaced the cylinder and now it works fine.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:21 AM   #3

Default Taurus .327

I, too, have a Taurus .327. I was very excited about the gun and the caliber. First trip to the range, mis fires and stuck cartridges. Worked them out and cleaned the gun very well. Second trip, same thing. Shells appeared to be expanding in the cylinder and would not eject. The .32s shot fine. Problems were with the American Eagle .327 magnum shells.

At this time, the gun is back @ Taurus and has been for over 3 weeks...Hopefully, they will get this fixed as they said that they would make it right...

I do like the balance and the feel of this gun. Hopefully, I'll have good things to say once I finally get it back!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:44 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Wow - I read about the Ruger .327Mag last year. I believe they pioneered it in their SP101 or GP100. I want one. I didn't even know Taurus made one. Sounds like they have some issues to work out. Maybe the Ruger is the better choice. I have an old Rossi (now Taurus) .357Mag where three chambers are so tight that the ejector doesn't eject the spent cases. Sounds like a similar problem with the Taurus - it's called poor Quality Control. An electric drill and some lapping compound might be a solution. Makes one also wonder how accurately the cylinder is bored. I read an article once that gave a procedure to determine which cylinders are bored off-axis. Shoot 6 rounds at a a bullseye and label each round with it's corresponding position on the cylinder. Repeat this drill two more times. This will indicate the accuracy of the axial centers of the cylinder bores with respect to eachother. ie. if shot #2 consistently shoots to the right of the bull, this bore was drilled off center. The results are quite telling concerning manufacturing quality.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 05-13-2009 at 03:02 AM.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #5

Liked 113 Times on 87 Posts

Taurus owns Rossi, but a Rossi is not a Taurus anymore than a Stoeger is a Beretta. I have owned practically everything made, and I sold guns for over 20 years, and all I have left in double action are two Taurus revolvers, one .44 Special and one Model 605 .357, and I am quite happy with both of them.
I do not believe any of the gun companies are practicing quality control like they ought to, but I also believe they will make problems right. How this approach is saving them money I have no idea, but they all seem to be following the same model. I have had a brand new Smith lock up before ever firing a round, too. And to be fair, Smith fixed it fine, too. To be totally honest, I have had better luck out of the box, and with their customer service when it was needed, with Ruger than everyone else combined. But, somebody else has probably had better luck with somebody else.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transman View Post
.....Anyone got any ideas as to what might be causing this?Help would be appreciated.
Believe the first issue is it is a Taurus. The name and cylinder bind are almost synonymous. Their revolvers are plagued with this malfunction. Recommend that you send it back to the factory for resolution. There are few things worse than getting a new gun and it not working right, sorry to hear that. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just bought a Taurus 38 spec. Ultra Lite, 5 shot. The cylinder will not rotate when the hammer is pulled back or the trigger is pulled most of the time. It seems that the shells are sticking out of the cylinder too far. All my other revolvers are "counter-sunk" so that the shells are flush with the face of the cylinder.

I thought to start with that the rear of the ammo was too thick but I don't think that's the case. I have not contacted the factory since I don't have the bill of sale nor is it registered to me. I bought it from an individual at a gun show and have no idea who he was. I guess that's the reason he sold it. The gun was new and in the box.

I'm going to contact a gun smith later and get his thoughts on it.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:44 AM   #8

Love that car hillbilly68, when you gonna sell it?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #9

sorry to hear about your problems Transman.

I'm not a Taurus fan. A couple of years ago I bought a Taurus, had a warranty problem, brought it back to the dealer, he sent it to the mfg for repair. 6 months later it came back and still had the same problem. I did the same as I described before, but this time when it came back from the mfg's repair I told the dealer I didn't feel comfortable with the gun and wanted a refund. End result; he gave me a credit in his store. At least I didn't have that problematic gun to deal with any more.

Transman, good luck I hope you get the problem resolved.

Old 05-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #10

Well, I finally got my 327 back from Taurus Friday. Almost 5 weeks to correct the spent brass from sticking in the cylinders and mis-fires. When I went to pick it up, the work order from Taurus showed that they had repaired the hammer...and that's all. Took it to the range that night and after running only 24 .327 mag shells through it, same problem (but the hammer's been fixed!!). I left it at the gun store next day. I guess it's already gone back to Taurus again. I won't give my impression of their service and repair department at this time...I'd just like to have my gun fixed...