Tactical revolver - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Tactical revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W Model 327 M&P R8

Anyone out there handled one of these? It supposedly was designed as a SWAT "shield gun" to address the issue of semi's being fouled by slides coming in contact with the shield while in use. 8 shots of .357 goodness.

It is a bit pricey but if a tactical revolver is what you are looking for, it fits the bill imho.

Dib

Old 01-19-2008, 04:12 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Taurus 608

I don't know anything about the Smith, but I shot a friend's 4" barrel 608 and it looks like a decent gun, even if it is a bit big. Eight rounds of .357 Mag. The thing I noticed is that it didn't look like it would be that hard to make some rimless .357 Mag from .223 brass and use Taurus full-moon clips from their .30 Carbine revolver for a speed-loading capability.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:18 AM   #13

About 19 years ago I had a part time business in the UK and was for a short time the UK agent for Peters Stahl gmbh. The designer Joe Peters (you will remember the 'Multicalibre' sold in the US by Springfield Arms), is a stand up guy and an extremely good engineer, he did design a fully suppressed revolver and tested it at Bisley Camp. I remember it was based on the S&W 'L' frame and had a clam shell device that closed over the cylinder. Whatever happened to the concept I don't know, I thought it the time a wonderful piece of engineering for a concept that was going to go nowhere. Semi-auto's seem to be an easier choice for the job.

As for the subject in hand I still have my old service S&W M581 .357 calibre revolver, good round, not too heavy, simple and accurate with service sights.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #14

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

"Tactical" does not necessarily mean covert, or silent. Sometimes it can mean kicking down doors, yelling and cursing at bad guys while holding them at gun-point, as in a drug raid. Smith & Wesson is making a tactical revolver, but I haven't talked to anyone who's actually used one.

Virtually every street cop I know prefers a semi-auto for primary carry guns, most in .40 S&W, or .45 acp and small revolvers such as J frames for back-up. SWAT guys (I don't know any SWAT gals, but I'm sure they're out there) who I know prefer .45 acp semi-autos for primary carry, and smaller framed semi-autos for back up.

Of course, SWAT cops primary weapons are usually something with a selector switch.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 02-06-2008, 10:35 AM   #15

Default More on silenced revolvers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolver#Use_with_suppressors

I have been in the LE/Spec Ops community for 40+ years and licensed to manufacture supressors...I have built and tested many designs. I know of what I speak.
I have mentioned on another thread before, Joe Peters (of Peters Stahl GmbH) built silenced revolvers which where tested by the German GSG9, I remember being at one of the last Bisley shoots and shot it myself. Whether or not GSG9ever ordered it I don't know, but I assure you it was built.