Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Tactical revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/tactical-revolver-2264/)

GatlinCat 10-11-2007 08:57 PM

Tactical revolver

What is the best tactical revolver choice, if a revolver can be said to be tactical?

matt g 10-11-2007 10:03 PM

SFOD-D used suppressed Dan Wesson .357 mags back in the day.

hideit 10-12-2007 12:46 AM

very good question
not sure what all is involved in "tactical"
I will be interested in others thoughts also

Dgunsmith 10-12-2007 03:09 AM

Supressed Dan Wesson 357 Mags ? HA HA HA

NO WAY......We had Dan Wessons delivered low bid to the State Police....we sent them ALL back. Absolute garbage --circa 1974

NObody ever used supressed revolvers for anything. Problem being gas from front of cylinder/forcing cone. You have to enclose too much of a revolver to supress it......except on TV

1911's and ruger/colt 22's yes...all the way back to OSS days.

Somebody lied to you !

Tactical revolvers.....in days passed...silky smooth tuned trigger pull and a fist full of speed loaders..Wheel guns are very reliable but ammo limited.
Make great hide out or back-up pistols.

JMHO

matt g 10-12-2007 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgunsmith (Post 10017)
NObody ever used supressed revolvers for anything. Problem being gas from front of cylinder/forcing cone. You have to enclose too much of a revolver to supress it......except on TV

You might want to do a little more research on that one.

Dgunsmith 10-13-2007 02:15 AM

More Research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolver#Use_with_suppressors

I have been in the LE/Spec Ops community for 40+ years and licensed to manufacture supressors...I have built and tested many designs. I know of what I speak.

matt g 10-13-2007 05:01 AM

Wonder what it was that I fired then.

Dgunsmith 10-13-2007 06:56 PM

More Data:

Some experimental Dan Wesson Suppressors were in fact made in an attempt to see IF by reducing cylinder-forcing cone gap, the noise signature could be reduced. It didn't work out. They were never a team issue item.

Main problem was 357 Mag is supersonic....reducing velocity to sub sonic means 38 Special.

Many prototypes are made for LE and Spec ops...you may have fired one.

They were never purchased or assigned a national stock number (NSN) as they were just another technology experiment that verified why revolvers are not supressed.

The original question was regarding silencers for revolvers.
In practical terms, it doesnt work. If legal in your state, buy one in .22lr and you will have more fun than you can imagine !

rickrem700 10-14-2007 09:47 AM

Tactical revolver

I guess if I had to pick somthing out of my arsenal and use it in a tactical application it would be my Smith & Wesson 610 in 10 mm, yep that would get the job done!!!

matt g 10-14-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgunsmith (Post 10139)
Some experimental Dan Wesson Suppressors were in fact made in an attempt to see IF by reducing cylinder-forcing cone gap, the noise signature could be reduced. It didn't work out. They were never a team issue item.

Main problem was 357 Mag is supersonic....reducing velocity to sub sonic means 38 Special.

Many prototypes are made for LE and Spec ops...you may have fired one.

They were never purchased or assigned a national stock number (NSN) as they were just another technology experiment that verified why revolvers are not supressed.

The original question was regarding silencers for revolvers.
In practical terms, it doesnt work. If legal in your state, buy one in .22lr and you will have more fun than you can imagine !

They are by no means the most effective suppressor setup, but they do reduce the signature just enough to make the signature harder to pinpoint. I think the idea was to run a .38 subsonic of some sort as the ammo, which would have cut the signature down a little more.