Strip Clips vs. Speed Loader
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Strip Clips vs. Speed Loader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Strip Clips vs. Speed Loader

I'm researching for a revolver for my wife. She'll probably purse carry, sometimes pocket carry. Who knows? Maybe even ankle carry at some point.

I've narrowed it down to the Smith 642/442/637 and possibly the LCR. My suggestion to her will be the 642 ($50 off right now!!) with CT.

Here's the question: Do y'all think she would prefer (or succeed better) reloading with a strip or a speed loader? My impression is that the speedloader is the best way to go, but I haven't handled either so I just want people's thoughts. She will probably not practice very often, so the system needs to be as simple as possible.

Thus, the revolver, BTW...

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I am not a long-time revolver owner and don't practice, but the speedloaders i picked up for my GP100 are very intuitive and easy to use. I have not tried the speed strip things. I bet she will have enough purse space for a speedloader.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #3

Default Depends...

The big advantage of the strip is size. The SpeedLoader is bulky but it is faster to use. Being that she will most likely have a handbag, I'd recommend the speedloader, it's 1. faster, 2. fewer motions (which can be important at times of high stress); 3. a little easier to align (just once whereas the strip will take at least 3 times getting the bullet into the chamber); and 4. the less chance of the individual rounds coming loose in the pocket or purse.

Having said that, IF you are concealing on body, carrying the spare ammo in a pocket, the strips conceal a whole lot better!

"To disarm the people is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason

Old 10-09-2010, 02:44 PM   #4

When im packing my j frame, I always carry 2 speed strips in a pocket holster and 2 speedloaders in the center console of my jeep. If I carried a man bag, the speedloaders would go there, lol.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:05 PM   #5

I just bought 2 HKS speedloaders. Yeah, she'll have room, but I could imagine her not being able to find them in her purse when needed. Oh well, better than not even having them.

I read (and will try to follow this advice) that one should load the revolver even during range practice using the speedloader, basically to get repetitions with the process. It is one extra step, but since a full range trip with a J-frame is basically 10-15 reps of loading and firing, it is good practice.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

The fastest way to reload a revolver is with moon clips, but I don't know if your wife's revolver accepts them. They also seem like they might be a little flimsy to ride around in a purse.

Speed loaders are next, and there are several kinds. The HKS you mentioned are the most common. Safariland makes some that are supposed to be faster than the HKS, but I've never used them.

Speed strips are slower than everything but loading loose rounds. As mentioned, though, they conceal best.

My only concern with speed loaders would be that in a purse, they might pick up some small article or other that would make them difficult or impossible to use until the article is removed.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 10-10-2010, 02:50 AM   #7

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

the ONLY way to go. No handle, no bulk. I had them for my 442 and M60. loved them.

Safariland COMP-1 Revolver Speedloader Charter Arms, S&W 5-Shot 38 Special Polymer Black - MidwayUSA

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 10-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #8

OOOOHHHHH darn! Just a few hours too late. I totally would have bought those if I'd seen this pst before my cheaperthandirt order a few hours ago.

And they're cheaper. Maybe I'll return the HKS ones...probably not. Maybe I should just buy 2 more...probably not.

Hey, you, next reader! Buy the Safariland speed loaders!

Good advice, willfully!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #9

Liked 1834 Times on 1023 Posts
Likes Given: 1209

I have both. Safariland rocks.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2862 Times on 1655 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Which revolver is the little lady thinking of getting? Just as I won't buy the wife's shoes, I don't buy her the car, vacuum cleaner, mop, or anything else she wants. I just end up paying for it. (I do reserve the right to put in my research info, but final decision is hers.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)