Speed Loaders and Hollow Points - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Speed Loaders and Hollow Points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 05:30 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1597 Times on 1093 Posts
Likes Given: 555

If I just stab the speed loader first time I always get a quick reload. But If I have to struggle at all it seems to take forever. I don't know how having to move a speed loader .25" can be such a task.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 08-18-2014, 09:40 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

For speed loaders you have to use round nose or semi wad cutters to be fast... Find you some spring loaded style comp loaders they are very fastnof release. Also learn to speed load with your left hand while your right hand retains the pistol .

Load some dummy round so you can practice at home....

Become steel or get cut.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #13
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

I've seen the spring loaded ones. They are fast. Sometimes too fast. In a hurry it's easy to put just a little pressure on the back when you grab them off your belt. Rounds go everywhere, very ugly. But I guess that's just a matter of practice. Helps if you have long fingers. I may look around for some of those to try out. (Now where did I put those spare long fingers???)

The guy that runs our IDPA matches shoots revolver a lot and he reloads with his left hand. He says that allows him to use the same basic movement to grab his spares whether pistol or revolver. It also keeps his fingers away from the hot forcing cone.

I am currently using snap caps for practice. I've found that reloads with snap caps are easier in some respects and harder than others. They're easier because the round noses make alignment a lot easier. But they're harder because they're so light that they hang up in the speed loader easily. When you toss the speedloader (or even just allow it to fall) it tends to drag one of the snap caps along with it and I wind up with 5 in the 6 shooter...

I've also tried reload practice with live rounds. Sure focuses the mind on the task at hand. Especially when they're 357! That let me practice with the actual bullet faces that I'll be using.

I've found that it helps a little if I angle the speedloader slightly off axis of the cylinder and catch one or two rounds in a chamber. Then align the speedloader, press in to engage all rounds and then twist the knob. Takes a lot longer to describe than the actual process.

Is that the right way to do this or should I be focusing on alignment only?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by Balota; 08-18-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 971 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Slightly Rocking them in as you described is a correct way, for positive line up etc. Ultimately you learn to do it ever so slightly if at all. keep practicing. The important thing to remember is let gravity assist you. Also to avoid a spent shell behind the star get that muzzle pointed up! Again let gravity assist you.

Become steel or get cut.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:57 PM   #15
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8166

Balota, since you are not reloading for the .38\.357 yet, and the snap caps are on the light side (I know all about that issue) see if you can get a friend who does reload to provide with with a set of cases with the bullets in them, such as what i use to check overall catridge length when handloding, with the types of bullets (JHP, HP, ect.) you will be shooting during competition. They will be closer to the weight you are shooting, and you will get the feel for where each round type needs to be clocked with you speedloaders. Load with your left hand, and use your [alm to guide the speedloader home. best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 08-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #16

Sounds like a plan. The guy who runs the IDPA has made me some dummy rounds for my 9mm and 45acp pistols. I can probably get some dummies (besides me) for the revolver.😁

I haven't shot enough revolver to have established left vs right hand reloading. I may start trying left handed (maintaining firing grip with right).

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #17
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3168 Times on 2151 Posts
Likes Given: 689

"Extra long fingers?" One of my favorite musicians, TONY LEVIN, on his 3rd stint with King Crimson, and has also played with Peter Gabriel, and 3 of the 4 Beatles at different times, used finger extensions on some of his Basses,..called Funk Fingers,...maybe you need Funk Fingers Balota.......

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 08-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #18

On all but my trigger finger...

Balota

Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 AM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
I have one SW686. If I trim the cylinder to receive moon clips, the 38spl cartridges don't get full support. So modifying for moon clips requires always using moon clips. But moon clips are not allowed in SSR. The revolver is an experiment. If I find I like it, I might get another and convert that to moon clips.
Actually a revolver cylinder cut for moon clips can still fire loose rounds or use speed loaders. So you can switch between loaders and moonclips. Go to TK customs web site for a complete rundown on the procedure.
My 686 was cut for moonclips 8 years ago and I use 5 Star speedloaders and TK moonclips.

Noblesse Oblige

Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 AM   #20

I'll look into that. I was told otherwise by some folks in my IDPA club. That's why we all need to actually check for ourselves. Thanks for the feedback.

Balota