Speed Loaders and Hollow Points

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Speed Loaders and Hollow Points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1949 Times on 1184 Posts
Likes Given: 2121

Default Speed Loaders and Hollow Points

I'm pretty new to revolver shooting. I've been trying my revolver in IDPA and barely (1-2 seconds) made Marksman in SSR. One of my problems is reloading with speed loaders.

I've practiced with snap caps and gotten down to maybe 2-3 seconds a lot of the time. But when I try to reload with live rounds it just doesn't work. A lot of the ammo I've gotten (both 38spl and 357) have some kind of hollow point or flat point bullets. The flat ends of the rounds don't catch well in the cylinder.

I want to try the Classifier in ESR, but my revolver is not modified for moon clips. So, I'm going to try it with speed loaders. My 357 ammo is JSP.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to speed up the process when I'm using rounds other than FMJ?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by Balota; 08-16-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-17-2014, 02:09 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5686 Times on 2971 Posts
Likes Given: 377

use cast lead round nose.

if your competing you should be using cast bullets for cost and to prevent bounce back on steel if your shooting steel.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #3

Good points. I'm not reloading ammo yet. I'd love to find some round nose ammo that would behave a bit more like the snap caps. I was hoping someone had a trick up their sleeve that would make reloading the revolver with flat nose rounds easier.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 08-17-2014, 03:59 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Good points. I'm not reloading ammo yet. I'd love to find some round nose ammo that would behave a bit more like the snap caps. I was hoping someone had a trick up their sleeve that would make reloading the revolver with flat nose rounds easier.
there isnt anything gear wise you can do other than changing bullet profile. and this is only going to be marginal.

other than that, LOTS of practice until it becomes muscle memmory. this will be the biggest improvement. smooth is fast. dont try to force it. speed will come after years of practice.

if your going to compete you should be loading and have a chronograph to be sure your ammo is in the correct power factor if your doing that sort of thing. handloading lets you shot a LOT more matches and practice more.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-17-2014, 04:19 AM   #5

You're right. I was just hoping someone had a technique I'd never heard of. Practice is certainly the long term key. I'll probably start reloading eventually.

I think I don't "compete" so much as "participate". My last sanctioned match I placed in the middle of the Marksman category out of about 20. I look at IDPA matches as opportunities to practice doing things I can't do at the range. Holster draw, shooting at close range, rapid fire, shooting on the move, etc. I want to learn revolver just for the fun of learning a new physical skill.

Balota

Old 08-17-2014, 04:34 AM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7154 Times on 3916 Posts
Likes Given: 14508

Are you set against having the cylinders recessed for moon clips?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 08-17-2014, 04:42 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

you want to get really good, use a single action revolver... makes that speed loader issue trivial heh

JimRau Likes This 
Old 08-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #8

I have one SW686. If I trim the cylinder to receive moon clips, the 38spl cartridges don't get full support. So modifying for moon clips requires always using moon clips. But moon clips are not allowed in SSR. The revolver is an experiment. If I find I like it, I might get another and convert that to moon clips.

Balota

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 08-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #9

Actually I use single action mode for the 15-20 yard shots around cover on 3rd stage of Classifier.

Balota

Old 08-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2889 Times on 1667 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

One little trick is to use your hand to guide the speed loader.
Most will use the tip of the bullets only. The palm of the hand can act like a chute.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

kfox75 Likes This