Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > sp101 springs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default sp101 springs?

how many springs are in the revolver? is it 1 or 2? i want to make my triger pull lighter and need to know what spring i need to change. i am going to be getting a 357 3" in march. i want to keep the primer strikes hard. are they different springs. i know there is one in the grip area but what about in the triger area? i will be ordering springs from wolf soon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

While I have an SP101, I've never broken it down. On a S&W revolver, the 2 primary springs are the mainspring and the trigger rebound spring. I generally change the trigger spring to a lighter version but I never change the mainspring for fear of light strikes.

Just did some Googling (it is your friend) and the general consensus is to lighten the mainspring to 10# or so and leave the trigger spring alone...

Last edited by NGIB; 01-26-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I did a spring job on my daughter's SP-101 using Wolf springs. I replaced the mainspring with the lightest choice and she was not happy. It fired flawlessly, but the trigger pull was still too heavy for her tiny little hands. After a trip back to dear old dad's house for a replacement of the trigger spring she fell in love with the gun and carried it for months.

The funny thing is that she replaced the SP with an LCR. The SP after the kit has a better trigger pull than the LCR out of the box, but the LCR is lighter to carry.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

To lighten the trigger you can replace the mainspring and the trigger return spring. I used a Wolf spring kit in mine with the lightest springs they offered and it really improved the trigger pull. I've shot from mild 38s to hot 357s and it's just as reliable as before.
I also polished the surfaces but if you decide to do that be extremely careful and go very slow. You are removing metal and the goal is only to smooth, not change dimensions or angles of anything.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-01-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

NGIB

I have never had a problem with light strikes on a Smith if all I changed was the weight of the two springs. I have had problems when I change spring geometry. If I try to loosen the mainspring tension screw for a lighter pull I get failures on almost any Smith I try it on. Back in the old days a popular practice was to actually grind down the mainspring, and I still didn't have light strikes. In a S&W it seems that within rational limits the geometry is much more important than the weight of the spring.