Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > SP101 Grips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default SP101 Grips

One of the nifty things about buying or trading for used guns is that many times you get extra stuff with them. Between the 2 SP101s I acquired, I have 5 different sets of grips and soon I'll be running a little test. What I'm going to do is put each set on the 3" SP101 and then shoot 10 rounds of .357 ammo. Then I'll swap the grips for the next set and repeat until I've fired the gun with each set of grips mounted. For ammo, I'm going to use a box of Blazer aluminum 158gr JHPs. These are loaded fairly mild - more than .38 +P but less than full-house .357 loads. The picture below shows my SP101s with the grips that will be tested. Along the bottom row from L-R are:

Trausch. Ugly ivory color, made of a softish polymer. Fill the hand very well and they have extra "padding" at the top of the backstrap. These are the largest of the grips. Did I say ugly?

Hogue cocobolo wood. Typical Hogue's, either the finger grooves fit you or they don't (me they fit so-so). Fills the hand well but not as good as the ugly ones.

Ruger factory. They look small but you can get a 3 finger grip on them. I've fired the test ammo through my 2" SP101 while it was wearing these and it was not to bad.

On the 3" gun are Hogue rubber. The comments from the Hogue wood apply here as well. Very tacky rubber feel to them.

On the 2" gun are Badger boot grips. Easily the best looking of all of them. Two items of note with these: They are 2 finger grips as they are short and the grip angle on these is considerably different than the other 4 sets. The muzzle naturally points higher with these. Did I say pretty?

Hopefully in the next week or so I can get these to the range and run the test. Going in I'd guess the most comfortable will be the Trausch, followed by the Hogue rubber, Ruger factory, Hogue wood, and Badger boot...

spgrips.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Shame you don't have a Pachmayr Compac grip as well, I've heard good things about them.

Looking forward to the results!

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 02-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Going in I'd guess the most comfortable will be the Trausch, followed by the Hogue rubber, Ruger factory, Hogue wood, and Badger boot...
Shot this one Friday afternoon and the results were exactly as I guessed they would be. The little Badger's were an adventure with .357 ammo but not bad at all with .38 Special. The Trausch and Hogue rubber were very close in comfort and the factory rubber grips were certainly in 3rd place. I just proved to myself yet again that wood grips are for pictures...

Old 03-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would you be willing to part with the Badger and/or Hogue wood grips?

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinzitu View Post
Would you be willing to part with the Badger and/or Hogue wood grips?
No, as I have a pair of these and I like to have options...

Old 03-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

cool. Thanks for the quick reply.

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-Theodore Roosevelt, 1913