LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2165 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The GP100 is a fine revolver. Again though its capacity should be more than what it is. The existing cylinder is large enough that it could be a seven shot firearm. The S&W 686p is a comparable size and is a seven shot.

Also I prefer the size of the sp101 over the GP100 but I still think both firearms could have +1 capacity.

A longer barrel is an issue when one chooses to conceal OWB. Lots of people prefer OWB to IWB due to comfort. It would also be an issue in underneath the arm, ankle, or fanny pack carry.

IWB is a perfectly viable choice for concealed carry. As are all these other methods.
Lets be honest, Ruger could redesign their revolvers and you still wouldn't be happy because you want a capacity of 15 plus. You don't like to handle a revolver so be happy with your semi auto. Every holster is not straight up and down with a dust flap. Many holsters have a cant so one can conceal a gun with a longer barrel.

If Ruger made the cylinders thinner then you wouldn't be able to shoot Ruger only handloads. If you want a thin, light pistol that has a history of cracked cylinders and blown out frames S&W is waiting for you.

I know people who carry revolvers with long barrels in their belt without a holster all the time. I am sure you have seen Shelby the Swamp Man carrying his revolver with a 10" barrel in his belt. Other people have been carrying revolvers in the same fashion for a long time. His life is as rough and tumble as anyone's life. If Shelby drops his revolver a ND is the least of his problems. His problem is diving in river to recover his pistol.

I use an IWB holster for a Kel Tec P 3AT to carry a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel. No, the gun is not pointing at my cods. I don't carry the Ruger all the time but if I feel the need I will carry it.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The GP100 is a fine revolver. Again though its capacity should be more than what it is. The existing cylinder is large enough that it could be a seven shot firearm. The S&W 686p is a comparable size and is a seven shot.

Also I prefer the size of the sp101 over the GP100 but I still think both firearms could have +1 capacity.

While I agree that they probably could fit 6 in the cylinder they have on the SP101, I never saw it as a good idea. Part of the charm of the SP 101 to me is the weight, and punching another hole in the cylinder would take some of that away. Of course if someone was shooting at me I would probably rethink that.

I liked the weight of my daughter's SP101 when I fired it. It was nowhere near as punishing as my 360PD, and it let me get a better return for my second shot. The combination of weight and grips also allowed me to practice longer without looking for a bucket of ice water to stick my hand in. That 360PD is great to carry, but range days were brutal after the first 100 rounds.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Lets be honest, Ruger could redesign their revolvers and you still wouldn't be happy because you want a capacity of 15 plus. You don't like to handle a revolver so be happy with your semi auto. Every holster is not straight up and down with a dust flap. Many holsters have a cant so one can conceal a gun with a longer barrel.

If Ruger made the cylinders thinner then you wouldn't be able to shoot Ruger only handloads. If you want a thin, light pistol that has a history of cracked cylinders and blown out frames S&W is waiting for you.

I know people who carry revolvers with long barrels in their belt without a holster all the time. I am sure you have seen Shelby the Swamp Man carrying his revolver with a 10" barrel in his belt. Other people have been carrying revolvers in the same fashion for a long time. His life is as rough and tumble as anyone's life. If Shelby drops his revolver a ND is the least of his problems. His problem is diving in river to recover his pistol.

I use an IWB holster for a Kel Tec P 3AT to carry a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel. No, the gun is not pointing at my cods. I don't carry the Ruger all the time but if I feel the need I will carry it.
Actually JD I'm a revolver guy through and through. If you paid attention to my posts you would know that. I own a couple semi-autos but I have said since basically the beginning that I prefer revolvers.

I have gotten into countless discussions with people about capacity, and I was always on the side of "capacity isn't the end-all, be-all."

I simply make the point about +1 because Smith and Wesson can do it, so its a viable option.

So don't lecture me about what kind of firearms I prefer. Because you're wrong in this case.

And what are you talking about, "I use an IWB holster for a Kel Tec P 3AT to carry a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel." ????

Are you being serious? Or are you just off your rocker?

Always have clean socks.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #14

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

jackrich3 - Awesome! That is what I want too in a .357 for .38 Specials.

For images, are you using a PC or smart phone?

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 04-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
While I agree that they probably could fit 6 in the cylinder they have on the SP101, I never saw it as a good idea. Part of the charm of the SP 101 to me is the weight, and punching another hole in the cylinder would take some of that away. Of course if someone was shooting at me I would probably rethink that.

I liked the weight of my daughter's SP101 when I fired it. It was nowhere near as punishing as my 360PD, and it let me get a better return for my second shot. The combination of weight and grips also allowed me to practice longer without looking for a bucket of ice water to stick my hand in. That 360PD is great to carry, but range days were brutal after the first 100 rounds.
The sp101 is definitely an excellent shooter. As I said previously we shot a 4" one day and I loved it.

Actually my wife owns a 360pd, and we enjoy shooting Magnums out of it. But I realize that's not for everyone. We also haven't put more than a box through at a time.

We also have a S&W 66 and a 10. Those are both amazing shooters, due I'm sure in large part to their weight.

I understand your point, and I think its valid. Thanks for the input Doc.

Always have clean socks.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:34 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 149 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Well, here goes...

sp101.jpg  
Old 04-19-2014, 03:37 AM   #17

Liked 338 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Nice looking gun I have one with 2.25in barrel.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 04-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Very nice, I also have a 2.25 barreled sp101, I wanted the 3 incher but the LGS gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.