Sp101 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Sp101

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,472
Liked 2165 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The GP100 is a fine revolver. Again though its capacity should be more than what it is. The existing cylinder is large enough that it could be a seven shot firearm. The S&W 686p is a comparable size and is a seven shot.

Also I prefer the size of the sp101 over the GP100 but I still think both firearms could have +1 capacity.

A longer barrel is an issue when one chooses to conceal OWB. Lots of people prefer OWB to IWB due to comfort. It would also be an issue in underneath the arm, ankle, or fanny pack carry.

IWB is a perfectly viable choice for concealed carry. As are all these other methods.
Lets be honest, Ruger could redesign their revolvers and you still wouldn't be happy because you want a capacity of 15 plus. You don't like to handle a revolver so be happy with your semi auto. Every holster is not straight up and down with a dust flap. Many holsters have a cant so one can conceal a gun with a longer barrel.

If Ruger made the cylinders thinner then you wouldn't be able to shoot Ruger only handloads. If you want a thin, light pistol that has a history of cracked cylinders and blown out frames S&W is waiting for you.

I know people who carry revolvers with long barrels in their belt without a holster all the time. I am sure you have seen Shelby the Swamp Man carrying his revolver with a 10" barrel in his belt. Other people have been carrying revolvers in the same fashion for a long time. His life is as rough and tumble as anyone's life. If Shelby drops his revolver a ND is the least of his problems. His problem is diving in river to recover his pistol.

I use an IWB holster for a Kel Tec P 3AT to carry a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel. No, the gun is not pointing at my cods. I don't carry the Ruger all the time but if I feel the need I will carry it.
__________________

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

John_Deer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,823
Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
The GP100 is a fine revolver. Again though its capacity should be more than what it is. The existing cylinder is large enough that it could be a seven shot firearm. The S&W 686p is a comparable size and is a seven shot.

Also I prefer the size of the sp101 over the GP100 but I still think both firearms could have +1 capacity.


.
While I agree that they probably could fit 6 in the cylinder they have on the SP101, I never saw it as a good idea. Part of the charm of the SP 101 to me is the weight, and punching another hole in the cylinder would take some of that away. Of course if someone was shooting at me I would probably rethink that.

I liked the weight of my daughter's SP101 when I fired it. It was nowhere near as punishing as my 360PD, and it let me get a better return for my second shot. The combination of weight and grips also allowed me to practice longer without looking for a bucket of ice water to stick my hand in. That 360PD is great to carry, but range days were brutal after the first 100 rounds.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Lets be honest, Ruger could redesign their revolvers and you still wouldn't be happy because you want a capacity of 15 plus. You don't like to handle a revolver so be happy with your semi auto. Every holster is not straight up and down with a dust flap. Many holsters have a cant so one can conceal a gun with a longer barrel.

If Ruger made the cylinders thinner then you wouldn't be able to shoot Ruger only handloads. If you want a thin, light pistol that has a history of cracked cylinders and blown out frames S&W is waiting for you.

I know people who carry revolvers with long barrels in their belt without a holster all the time. I am sure you have seen Shelby the Swamp Man carrying his revolver with a 10" barrel in his belt. Other people have been carrying revolvers in the same fashion for a long time. His life is as rough and tumble as anyone's life. If Shelby drops his revolver a ND is the least of his problems. His problem is diving in river to recover his pistol.

I use an IWB holster for a Kel Tec P 3AT to carry a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel. No, the gun is not pointing at my cods. I don't carry the Ruger all the time but if I feel the need I will carry it.
Actually JD I'm a revolver guy through and through. If you paid attention to my posts you would know that. I own a couple semi-autos but I have said since basically the beginning that I prefer revolvers.

I have gotten into countless discussions with people about capacity, and I was always on the side of "capacity isn't the end-all, be-all."

I simply make the point about +1 because Smith and Wesson can do it, so its a viable option.

So don't lecture me about what kind of firearms I prefer. Because you're wrong in this case.


And what are you talking about, "I use an IWB holster for a Kel Tec P 3AT to carry a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6" barrel." ????

Are you being serious? Or are you just off your rocker?
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wittmeba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The state for Lovers
Posts: 1,097
Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Default

jackrich3 - Awesome! That is what I want too in a .357 for .38 Specials.

For images, are you using a PC or smart phone?

__________________
NRA Member - Over 5,000,000 strong!
Criminals don't discriminate. They will attack anywhere!

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
wittmeba is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,716
Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
While I agree that they probably could fit 6 in the cylinder they have on the SP101, I never saw it as a good idea. Part of the charm of the SP 101 to me is the weight, and punching another hole in the cylinder would take some of that away. Of course if someone was shooting at me I would probably rethink that.

I liked the weight of my daughter's SP101 when I fired it. It was nowhere near as punishing as my 360PD, and it let me get a better return for my second shot. The combination of weight and grips also allowed me to practice longer without looking for a bucket of ice water to stick my hand in. That 360PD is great to carry, but range days were brutal after the first 100 rounds.
The sp101 is definitely an excellent shooter. As I said previously we shot a 4" one day and I loved it.

Actually my wife owns a 360pd, and we enjoy shooting Magnums out of it. But I realize that's not for everyone. We also haven't put more than a box through at a time.

We also have a S&W 66 and a 10. Those are both amazing shooters, due I'm sure in large part to their weight.

I understand your point, and I think its valid. Thanks for the input Doc.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:34 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SW FL
Posts: 355
Liked 149 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Default

Well, here goes...

sp101.jpg  
__________________
jackrich3 is offline  
lefty60 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:37 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SRK97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 844
Liked 338 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default

Nice looking gun I have one with 2.25in barrel.

__________________

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

SRK97 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 299
Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Very nice, I also have a 2.25 barreled sp101, I wanted the 3 incher but the LGS gave me a deal I couldn't refuse.

__________________
PSYCHOFREAK3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Sp101 cAs58 Revolver Handguns 3 01-05-2014 05:27 PM
SP101 or S&W M&P 9mm northhike General Handgun Discussion 19 02-17-2012 05:44 PM
2nd SP101 NGIB Revolver Handguns 11 02-14-2011 02:03 PM
Sp101 <3 nyb631 Revolver Handguns 16 02-09-2011 05:28 PM
Got an Sp101 Gojubrian Revolver Handguns 52 08-02-2010 01:22 AM