Some revolver ?'s
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Some revolver ?'s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Some revolver ?'s

Have allways had auto's, Just picked up S&W 325, Just wondering about cleaning. I guess I should use a snake to clean the barrel from the breach. Any other things i should know. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Front screw on right side of the frame retains the cylinder. Remove that screw and clean cylinder on routine basis. Unless you have a good knowlege of the inner working of the Smiths, I would not recommend further disassembly.

Keep the area under the ejector star clean and DRY. Oil in this location will attract fouling and can cause hydraulic misfires.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:02 AM   #3

Is dry firing ok...or should i use dummy rounds?

Old 03-04-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe in Dublin View Post
Is dry firing ok...or should i use dummy rounds?
Dry firing is OK in most all modern revolvers, but snapcaps are better. Just REMEMBER, there is NO SUCH THING as an un-loaded gun. If you get careless when dry firing, someone may die. *** Please be careful ***

Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

One of the tricks of the trade is to get a good trigger job done on a Smith revolver, it must be dry fired about 5000 times. That allows the friction points to be revealed so they can be smoothed. it is also like a 1000 mi break in on an engine. It will smooth out considerably just from dry firing that much.

I recommend a very specific procedure when doing dry fire (for practice or break in). Put ALL ammo in a different room. Check, double check and triple check to insure the gun is unloaded. When dry firing, still insure you have a safe back stop in case of cranio-flatulence. If the gun leaves your hand, recheck for unloaded status. If you get distracted by a phone call, recheck for unloaded status.

When done dry firing (this is the really important part), DO NOT LOAD THE GUN. Put it away and do something else, not gun related. Do the dishes, wash the car, something that will reset the muscle memory so you will not unconciously pull the trigger when you reload.