Some mods I'm thinking of, need some thoughts

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Some mods I'm thinking of, need some thoughts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Default Some mods I'm thinking of, need some thoughts

Okay, a few days ago I radiused and smoothed my trigger face. Today, I bobbed the hammer, and did a pretty darn good job if I say so myself. I'll post pics when the wifey gets home with the cell phone camera, I've got a before pic too that I'll throw in.

Now here's what I want some thoughts on... I was browsing youtube the other day, and found Mr. Potterfield in a how-to on flame bluing.

I would like to completely polish my trigger and hammer, and flame blue the exposed parts. I wouldn't be applying any heat directly to the working internals, but obviously with such small pieces they will be getting awful hot too. I'm wondering about messing with the temper in an impact part, the hammer has an exposed firing pin, that is flexible with a spring in it. The trigger I think can handle it, I'm more concerned with the hammer and pin, but don't want to do one and not the other.

Would cold blue be an option? It's a stainless gun, but I don't know if the hammer and trigger are also stainless, it's an older model with the matte finish on the hammer and trigger.

What do y'all think? BTW it's a model 65 S&W.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #2

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

cold blue only

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Cold Blue Only

I agree with hiwall, do not use any heat on the parts you mentioned. Use bluing only or jewel the parts.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:45 PM   #4

Y'all know if these parts are stainless or not? I don't, I guess I can google it.

I didn't think about jeweling, I'll have to now. I was mostly thinking about the bluing because of the contrast, but jeweling would be really nice too. I'll have to see if I can find some walkthroughs for that.

If you know any how to's on jeweling send them my way please.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #5

Before and after shots. I apologize for the picture quality.

img_2074.jpg   img_2285.jpg