You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

So I want a snub revolver...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 464 Times on 269 Posts
Likes Given: 229

A good action job and a Wolff spring kit will reduce the weight of double action pull by 40-50%. My wife has a S&W model 442 and she has no problems whatsoever with the DAO trigger pull and she's of limited hand/wrist strength. I recommend getting "hammerless" so there's nothing to snag during draw and having your local gunsmith install a spring kit/action job. It will still be 100% reliable, just MUCH easier to shoot-thereby increasing the accuracy with which you can shoot it. The gun itself will perform to the same level of accuracy, just that you'll be able to shoot it much more accurately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoshoot View Post
I would get it w/a hammer. I am a girl too and have the s&w 357 in the 4 and the 6 inch and have a hard time pulling the trigger if i do not cock the hammer back first.
You can also Google on the internet and see if there are ranges near you were you can go and pay to shoot different types of guns. That way you can shoot it before you buy it.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #32
WDB

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Yeah, but that's only 350 rounds in a weekend....
Yep Dr 350 rounds every weekend.. 52 weekends in a year. Do you shoot that often or that many rounds?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #33

As a matter of fact, I shoot averaging 2 times a week and fire about 325 rounds in .22LR and 50-100 rounds of centerfire ammo. That's not counting sighting in rifles or handguns or test firing customers' guns, as I get to them.

That's where it REALLY helps to live on 150 acres in the country, on a farm with my range literally in my backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Yep Dr 350 rounds every weekend.. 52 weekends in a year. Do you shoot that often or that many rounds?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #34

Between Brownie and myself we go through 2-3 bricks of 22lr a month and another 3-400 rounds of centerfire. I shoot most of the centerfire and she shoots a little more 22lr than me. Our range is within 10 minutes I do consider myself lucky, I am very jelous of anybody who has a range on their own property though. If I could just 'go out into the yard' and shoot so to speak I would probably not have money for food or bills because it would all be spent on ammo. It would be hard to not shoot dailly.

If I could afford it I would double up on the centerfire rounds. Ive been buying ammo as I find it available, not mass quantities but up to 4 or 5 boxes if its there and the price is good, and I still only have enough to last a few months. Ive been saving brass and plan to start reloading and probably casting too, unfortunately I have not found any small or large pistol primers anywhere except on gunbroker and people are charging $50 per 1k, what a rip! I figure I will just keep buying what I can at walmart, and by the time I find some primers I will have a nice supply of brass to load.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I recommend getting "hammerless" so there's nothing to snag during draw and having your local gunsmith install a spring kit/action job.

How much can one expect to pay for a good action job? I dry fired some 442s a couple weeks ago and the DA trigger was too heavy. I did notice the SA was nicer than the SA on my GP100, and the although it felt heavier, the DA on the 442 did feel smoother than my GP100. Not to say the GP100 is horrible, just something I couldn't help but to notice.

Last edited by Megaton; 04-09-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:47 AM   #35

I usually charge 80$ for a complete action tune but I'm not looking for work. That includes a Wolff spring kit.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #36
WDB

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was thinking center fire rounds, it's pretty easy to pump a brick or two 22 rounds through a 10/22 or other similar but center fire it not something most will do. Even if you do it for a living and have the personal range at home (lucky you stalkingbear).

Something I was asking Dr. Marneaus but thanks for your input Bear

Last edited by WDB; 04-11-2009 at 01:27 AM.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #37

I know if I could afford to shoot 7-8 boxes of centerfire a week I would. Unfortunately if your buying factory loads thats almost $600 a month on ammo alone.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 PM   #38

I only have a 50 yard range in the back yard. The backstop is the storm celler bank. For 100-300 yards I have to drive to the back field where the whole hillside is backstop. I have a portable bench that I take back there.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #39

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
any suggestions? I would like to be able to keep it in my purse when I get my concealed weapons permit. My boyfriend just got a Rugar .357 magnum and I'm in love with it! I was gonna get a Glock 19 like he has but I decided I would rather have a revolver.

I would also prefer no hammer on the snub..

Any opinions or suggestions?

I carry a S&W 442 when I ride it fit nicely in my vest they are sweet little guns
2009_0205kayliespictures0010.jpg

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"
Denis Diderot

Old 04-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #40

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I have to agree with most here on the s&w I however go specifically for the ladysmith. It had a bit more of a feminine look to it, and i'm pretty sure you can find it hammerless.
So I want a snub revolver... - Revolver Handguns

Also one thing i have not seen anyone mention is that it is that a purse is certainly not the best place to keep your gun! To easy for somebody to snatch your purse, and it can be difficult to get it out of your purse if you really need it. I use a bra style holster that I just picked up at a local show. They have a website tho Guns 4 Gals and you can get info there. This is the only thing I found that has allowed me to still dress girly most of the time. Here are a few pics.