So I want a snub revolver... - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

So I want a snub revolver...


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stafford, Virginia,The state of insanity.
Posts: 14,043
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Default

If you want a snubie then might as go to the orginal source and get the Smith and Wesson j frame.

Remember that you rellay want to shoot one first. They can be a handfull to handle with full on 38 spec or 357mag pd loads.
cpttango30 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aoakley1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19
Default

I'm with the try before you buy group. I personally carried a S&W Model 36 (Chief Special) for 8+ years. I am a very active shooter (typically send somewhere between 15 and 20 thousand rounds down range per year.

I hated shooting the model 36 so did not practice with it very much. The reasons I hated shooting it was it was not comfortable unless I shot it with wimpy target ammunition and my ability to hit accurately with it under time pressure compared to some other comparably sized handguns.

Shoot the gun you're thinking about with the ammo you're planning on carrying in it. The Ruger LCR looks pretty cool but I have yet to get to handle one. If you decide on a small frame revolver, the ones I would suggest you consider are the S&W J frames (640, 442, etc), Ruger SP101.
aoakley1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
canebrake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar
Posts: 21,941
Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoakley1 View Post
I'm with the try before you buy group. I personally carried a S&W Model 36 (Chief Special) for 8+ years. I am a very active shooter (typically send somewhere between 15 and 20 thousand rounds down range per year.

I hated shooting the model 36 so did not practice with it very much. The reasons I hated shooting it was it was not comfortable unless I shot it with wimpy target ammunition and my ability to hit accurately with it under time pressure compared to some other comparably sized handguns.

Shoot the gun you're thinking about with the ammo you're planning on carrying in it. The Ruger LCR looks pretty cool but I have yet to get to handle one. If you decide on a small frame revolver, the ones I would suggest you consider are the S&W J frames (640, 442, etc), Ruger SP101.
Hey Renee, it's good to see you sharing your knowledge and experience with us.

How many of us members have shot 20,000 rounds in one year?

Thanks again. So I want a snub revolver... - Revolver Handguns
__________________
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...brake02jpg.jpg

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
canebrake is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stafford, Virginia,The state of insanity.
Posts: 14,043
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Default

I wish I had the time and money to put 20,000 rounds down range in one year.
cpttango30 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
stalkingbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bloomfield,Ky
Posts: 3,826
Liked 165 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default

I shoot 20,000 rounds a year but most of them are .22LR-the ONLY way I can afford to shoot like that.
stalkingbear is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aoakley1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I shoot 20,000 rounds a year but most of them are .22LR-the ONLY way I can afford to shoot like that.
The last couple of years
20-30% 22 LR
20% factory
All the rest hand loads (40S&W and 38 Super). If it weren't for sponsors supplying me with ammo and/or components, no way could I afford to shoot that much either.

from 1994 - 2004 it was all 38 Super and 40S&W handloads
aoakley1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 04:34 AM   #27
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Nonya,WA
Posts: 3,991
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Thats 50+ rounds a day every day, I wish I had the time and $ to make that happen
WDB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 376
Liked 86 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Thats 50+ rounds a day every day, I wish I had the time and $ to make that happen
Yeah, but that's only 350 rounds in a weekend....
__________________
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
Dr. Marneaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aoakley1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 19
Default

It's pretty easy to do when I leave work, get in my car and drive the 100 yards to the shooting range. And that estimate doesn't include all the ammo that I get to shoot at work testing customer firearms. I figure that adds at least 150 rounds per week.
aoakley1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 40
Default

I would get it w/a hammer. I am a girl too and have the s&w 357 in the 4 and the 6 inch and have a hard time pulling the trigger if i do not cock the hammer back first.
You can also Google on the internet and see if there are ranges near you were you can go and pay to shoot different types of guns. That way you can shoot it before you buy it.
lovetoshoot is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite Snub Nose Revolver DoubleAction Revolver Handguns 38 02-20-2011 06:09 AM
DW .357 Snub NGIB Revolver Handguns 3 03-31-2008 02:02 AM
New Revolver 38 Snub On LayAWAY! RONSERESURPLUS Revolver Handguns 16 03-30-2008 12:24 AM



Newest Threads