So I want a snub revolver...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > So I want a snub revolver...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 11:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default So I want a snub revolver...

any suggestions? I would like to be able to keep it in my purse when I get my concealed weapons permit. My boyfriend just got a Rugar .357 magnum and I'm in love with it! I was gonna get a Glock 19 like he has but I decided I would rather have a revolver.

I would also prefer no hammer on the snub..

Any opinions or suggestions?

I cook, I clean, I serve... plus I shoot. :D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #2

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You might look at a Ruger SP101 or the new Ruger LCR that is coming out. There is a nice write up on the LCR in Guns & Ammo this month.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'd recommend a Smith & Wesson J frame, you can get several models with shrouded hammers ("Bodyguard", you can still cock the hammer for SA fire) or fully enclosed hammers ("Centennial", they are DA only).

My favourite is model 640 (Centennial style) in .38. It shoots great, the trigger is fantastic and the extra heft of the steel frame makes it more comfortable to shoot than the lighter models.

You can check out some J frames here:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=11101&storeId=10001&cate goryId=15704&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=15703&top_category=15703

Old 03-01-2009, 02:16 AM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I'm thinking that Ruger LCR is going to be big in the world of firearms once it actually hits the streets. I expect Smith & Wesson and Taurus to follow suit shortly after.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:02 AM   #5

I would suggest getting one with a hammer so that you have the option of using it in single action. You can pull a lot of the pounds out of the trigger pull that way. Try a shrouded hammer.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

"My dear boy, I love hearing my relations abused. It is the only thing that makes me put up with them at all. Relations are simply a tedious pack of people, who haven’t got the remotest knowledge of how to live, nor the smallest instinct about when to die."

Old 03-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Smith & Wesson 442 hammerless .38 Special AirWeight

Of course if we want to play to the stereotypes...the Pink Grip model:

The Ruger SP101 would also be a good choice, and you have the option of the new chambering in .327 Federal Magnum. Search the forum and I'm sure you'll find some debate about the .327 round.

If you do decide to go with a smaller gun, spend some money on ammo and shoot the gun. The smaller & lighter the gun, usually the harder it is to shoot well. While you may only need it at arms length, you would be surprised the number of misses in gunfights at arms length.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 03-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #7

I recommend S&W J-frames as well. I get excellent groupings at the range with my Model 60 .357 mag every time.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:28 AM   #8

Thanks a bunch guys for all the suggestions! I keep practicing with my guy's guns to get better with shooting. Like with his Glock 19 I can get 13 of the 15 shots on paper.. probably not even close to what men can do..
With the Rugar .357 Magnum I can get all six shots in the circle..pretty pleased about that.. My boyfriend has no doubt that I could probably shoot somebody breaking into the house.
I will certainly check out all the guns you guys mentioned..

Thanks Again!

I cook, I clean, I serve... plus I shoot. :D

Old 03-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighead View Post

If you do decide to go with a smaller gun, spend some money on ammo and shoot the gun. The smaller & lighter the gun, usually the harder it is to shoot well. While you may only need it at arms length, you would be surprised the number of misses in gunfights at arms length.

This is why she needs a gun that is going to hold up. She's going to need alot of practice with whatever she chooses. Its important that she will enjoy shooting whatever gun she chooses so that she will continue to practice with it.

You can break it down into three main points we are considering.

1. How does it feel in her hand? This is where things like aftermarket grips and such come into play.

2. How will it hold up? If she can't shoot it all the time and get comfortable with it, there is no point in her having it.

3. How much will it cost? I think i can speak for her (I do most of the time ) when I say she doesn't want to spend a ton of money. Somewhere in the neighborhood of $4-500. That is not to say she won't go higher than that. Just what she would prefer.

Thank you all for the input. It seems like most everyone is very friendly here.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Good plan Megaton. My wife bought a Smith & Wesson 410S (40 caliber) without trying one out first. She hates that gun. I finally traded it in for a CZ75.