Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Snubnose Accuracy Progression

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 111 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Default Snubnose Accuracy Progression

I am new to handguns and have been trying to get better accuracy.First,I was trying 25 yards with 125 grain ammo,I am shooting .38s out of a .357 snub by the way,and at 25 yards I seemed to be high.I been seeking advice and it has been things like,start at 7 yards,so I did and did well,but it was in single action,so people told me to do double action.I also got advice about focusing on the front sight.So today,I first set up a target at 50 yards to see if the front sight thing would work,and I switched to 158grain ammo,and I hit my target 2 out of 6 shots.Then I went back to 7 yards and did double action only and did about 3 inch groups.I don't know how well my shooting is,but i'm trying my best and would like some honest opinions and advice.

25yrdssa.jpg   7yrdssa.jpg   50yrdssa.jpg   7yrdsda.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2009, 10:44 PM   #2

The trigger control is one of the hardest things to master. From 50 yards that's not bad with a snub nose. the 7 yard thing look pretty good, keep working on it and go slow at first. speed comes with time. shoot each round with control and focus. You need to get to a point where you can put 3 or 4 at lest out of 5 in a single hole from 7 yards. Once you are there go a little faster. Work your way up to the speed stuff. Once you have the speed down, work your way out to longer shooting. Keep it up, your shots looked better than the last photos.

also a hint with the one hole drill, aim at the same spot each time. Do not chase the hole, this will only make your shot hit in different spots each time. Keep up the good work.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:20 AM   #3

Stay with it dude, your gettin there.

"As our enemies have found we can reason like men, so now let us show them we can fight like men also"
Thomas Jefferson

"Freedom is only one generation from extinction"
Pres. Ronald Reagan
Member; NRA, GOA, and TSRA. ResistNet.com member

"When the ballot box no longer counts, the ammunition box does. Whats' in your ammo box?"

Old 08-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #4

Liked 113 Times on 87 Posts

Well, Bob Munden shot a group of 5 smaller than your bullseye at 100 yards, double action, with a 2" barreled .38 in a demonstration I saw. I would say slow down. Remember, one in the right place beats five in the wall. Get them all well within the bull at 7 yards, then start speeding up. When you have 'reasonable' speed and the group still looks good, start backing up. The brain has to learn how to pull the trigger and have the bullet go exactly where you want it to go. Every time you go too fast to control the group, you brain has to go back and re learn the correct way.
Oh, I'm no where near as good as Bob and don't care. I'm not going to burn enough powder and time to get there.

What could have happened... did.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I think you need to stick with realistic distances when shooting with a gun designed to be shot at short distances. Try shooting it double action only, increasing accuracy & speed (trigger control & sight alignment) on multiple targets at 5-15 yards. That would be closer to what you'll PROBABLY encounter in a gunfight. If you're 25-50 yards away you'll have a dandy of a time later in court explaining how the shooting was justified IMO. By the way, congrats on the good start. If you can afford it, a training course will teach you BUNCHES of things you'll never think of otherwise.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Tags
snubnose accuracy