Snub 44M - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Snub 44M

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 415 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 1216

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
If you're not willing to practice with he gun due to it no being comfortable to shoot, why would you carry it and depend on it to protect your life?

I would not buy a gun for carry that I wouldn't want to put several hundred rounds through. I want to be comfortable with whatever I choose to carry.
i have a few friends that carry a 357 snub noses and they shoot 38s when they shoot at the range and carry 357 rounds for self defense,i think as long as you practice some with the heavy rounds and know what to expect you should be ok.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post
You don't need to practice with a "belly" gun. If you can't hit a human at 5 yards without practice you have no bussiness owning a gun in the first place.

Incidently "da police" receive top training and can't hit the side of a barn with a bag of rice
What happens when the situation you are in is not at belly gun range and you are only carrying a belly gun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
i have a few friends that carry a 357 snub noses and they shoot 38s when they shoot at the range and carry 357 rounds for self defense,i think as long as you practice some with the heavy rounds and know what to expect you should be ok.
I can definately see this. I have a 642 that I practice with my .38 reloads and occasionally shoot +p. But to have a gun that I have only fired once due to recoil would make me rethink my decision.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #13

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts

yeah, but if all it delivers is .45 acp performance why not have something that is MUCH easier to ccw and to control in rapidfire, hmm? :-) Like an alloy framed compact version of the 1911. Take a look at the LDA ParaOrdnance, if you don't like cocked and locked carry of an auto. That is one very sweet DA trigger pull!

I got a newsflash for you, EVERYBODY misses the vitals a lot, in pistol combat, even at a mere 10 ft of range. Without ear protection, the blast makes you flinch. Most often, it's bad light, and the muzzle flashes ruin your night vision. If you knew enough to get on an electronic timer, and compare your times to what the top guys get with ccw autoloaders, or to what punks can do with a .22 autoloader, you'd KNOW that snubby magnums are a very bad idea. Ditto if you shot some animals with them. They don't get enough velocity to reliably expand a jhp in flesh, guys.

Last edited by ttsl; 06-06-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #14

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahall
Looking for a CC 44M to conceal!! Is there any worth owning?? I know Taurus has a nice looking one, found in there small frame Series!! But..... Is it worth owning??
A small frame .44 mag? I've never seen one. Not sure you could fit even a 5 shot .44 cylinder in a J frame size revolver?

I know S&W until recently made both a .44 mag and .44spl snubbie in their "Night Guard" line. The mag was a 6 shot using the same large frame as their full size 629 revolvers, although it was an alloy frame for weight savings. The .44spl was I *think* a 5 shot using the same medium size frame as the 686 revolver (but again, in alloy). Both were smaller and lighter than a normal 4 inch combat revolver but by no means were they pocket guns.

Charter arms also makes a snubbie in .44spl although I have never handled one.

I think the .44spl makes more sense as a SD round than the .44 mag. It seems most people end up using reduced power loads in the magnum to control recoil. If you are going to do that, why not just go with the .44 spl to start with? An added advantage is that .44 spl can be had in smaller guns than its magnum powered brother.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 PM   #15

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
You don't need to practice with a "belly" gun. If you can't hit a human at 5 yards without practice you have no bussiness owning a gun in the first place.

Incidently "da police" receive top training and can't hit the side of a barn with a bag of rice
Both those statement merit a few remarks (not to mention corrections) but i ain't gonna do it-Don't care enough to spend the time or energy to answer more than one stupid remark a day & i hit my Quota-----

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
One other thing hollow points are a marketiing gimmick
please explain how hollowpoints are a marketing gimmick? very curious as to why you would think that.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #17

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
please explain how hollowpoints are a marketing gimmick? very curious as to why you would think that.
And the hits just keepa comming (from the same source)

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #18

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Quote:
Lol, vitals, who's talking about vitals, cops usually miss the whole person. ;-)

I think a lot of you guys live in fantasy land when it comes to self defense. Don't get me wrong I'm not down on getting training or even pratice I pratice a lot myself.

But the idea that it is difficult to use a gun or even hard for an untrained person to score hits in a Self defense scenario is just not true.

The VAST MAJORITY of hoodlums in chicago have zero traing and they murder people with guns everyday.

Intent is what kills not training. Traing makes killing more efficient but only if the training is good and the intent is there.

I think many of you guys confuse self defense scenarios with either law enforcement or combat and they aren't the same thing. In a SD scenario it is going to happen with 15 feet. The only thing that matters at that range is being willing and being fast.

You guys bag on me because I reccomend people carry revolvers for SD. But I do it for statistcal reasons. Revolvers require less training and are more reliable, in these situations. Not combat, not burning up 1000 rounds at a wekend ipsp shoot. But 2 maybe three rounds in some a holes chest at 5yards.
So shooting a handgun is hard for cops who have training, but it's easy, because thugs with no training do it all the time?

Shooting revolvers is easy?

And I'm probably reading in between the lines that executing a preplanned attack is as stressful and disjointed as trying to keep your wits and operate smoothly when you are reacting, versus initiating action.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:15 AM   #19

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Cops can't hit in a shootout because they're training sucks.

Thugs kill in a shootout because they have no crappy training in they way of their intent to kill.

The simple fact is shooting a handgun is no more difficult than pointing your finger.

Self defense shooting takes place at such close ranges the things you learn about "site picture" etc. Are useless and in fact a handicap.

The original "glock" design had NO, repeat NO sites. Site we added because of marketing reasons.

Police generally miss they're shots because they are taught to Aim by looking at their front site, invariably they do it and either shoot high, or to the right.

At pistol ranges shooting human sized targets, aiming is not only not neccesary but is a hinderance.

If you don't believe me, just tae out a few siloette targets, take five steps away and draw and shoot them without aiming.

Please don't mistake what I'm saying with 'target' shooting or 'competitive' shooting.

This is for killing bad guys in self defense.

Incidently, this is not my 'theory' it has been taught to elite military units in the US since ww2. I learned it watching a black ad white .45 acp army training video. Its works.

Revolvers are easy and more reliable because they don't have safties to learn or forget about, and generally they don't need to be cocked first.

Again if you think I'm full of crap, break out the targets and try.

Old 06-07-2013, 02:23 AM   #20

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

Rex Applegate has a little book that goes into it.

Its been a while since I've read it but I believe it is called

"Shooting to Live" or "Istinctive Shooting" or something like that. The book is still in print, its an old classic.