Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Snub 44M (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/snub-44m-91857/)

mahall 06-06-2013 06:23 AM

Snub 44M

Looking for a CC 44M to conceal!! Is there any worth owning?? I know Taurus has a nice looking one, found in there small frame Series!! But..... Is it worth owning??

triggerjob 06-06-2013 06:30 AM

Only if you never shoot it except in self defense. Light compact .44 aren't exactly shooter friendly.

I once held a titanium snubby .44 I think it was a taurus. It felt nice but I didn't shoot it. THe guy who owned it told me he only shot it once. Litteraly 1 shot. Then he laughed and said he didn't buy it for recreational shooting anyway.

I have a 4" mod 19-2, which I had ported which is shootable but it weigh a friggin tonne.

mahall 06-06-2013 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggerjob
Only if you never shoot it except in self defense. Light compact .44 aren't exactly shooter friendly.

I knew that!! Just was hoping someone recently made a great discovery!! My small 357 kicks enough!!

SSGN_Doc 06-06-2013 01:29 PM

The great discovery is that physics don't change.

Another great discovery is that .44 special loads are not so bad in most magnum revolvers. Kind of like shooting a .45 ACP.

rifleman1 06-06-2013 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1269035)
The great discovery is that physics don't change.

Another great discovery is that .44 special loads are not so bad in most magnum revolvers. Kind of like shooting a .45 ACP.

you could always shoot 44spcl through the 44mag when you want to shoot for recreation and carry the real stuff for self defense.

therewolf 06-06-2013 03:15 PM

I'd be worried that I would

shoot thru the B/G and

hit my truck. .44 Mag

penetration at close range is

very deep.

A 45ACP will put a dent on a

BBQ gas tank. A 44 goes through the first

two tanks, then puts a major dent

in the third in line.

mahall 06-06-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf
I'd be worried that I would

shoot thru the B/G and

hit my truck. .44 Mag

penetration at close range is

very deep.

A 45ACP will put a dent on a

BBQ gas tank. A 44 goes through the first

two tanks, then puts a major dent

in the third in line.

So in theory a 44 mag is to powerful for close range, a HP round would likely go through someone before mushrooming out and doing the lethal damage that the round is intended to do!! Apposed to a 357 HP round with less power but big enough to spread its wings and do intended damage!! Plus the point you made! Whatever is behind the 44M shot will likely get hit!! Is this the bases that 357m is actual more practical for HD than 44m?? I

robocop10mm 06-06-2013 05:13 PM

Double Tap used to make a load they called "Tactical" for the .44. It was a 200 gr Speer Gold Dot HP (originally intended for the .44 spl) at 1000 fps. It was schweet in a 4" Smith. It would certainly be reasonable in a snub. The gaping hollow point of that 200 gr GD will expand violently and the reasonable velocity will keep over penetration to a minimum. I do not see it catalogued any longer, probably because Gold Dots are so had to come by these days.

hardluk1 06-06-2013 05:16 PM

Use a load designed for your need?? A 357mag with a 125gr is a great presonal defence. Probably the best. But use some heavy HP , sp or hardcast and it will pass thru with enought nergy to kill someone else. Drop down to a 38sp+P and its still a good man stopped. Same goes for a 44 mag. Use the right load for the job.

With a 357 or 44 that will see trail use atleast buy a 4" barrel if for nothing but a longer sight radius.

aandabooks 06-06-2013 05:43 PM

If you're not willing to practice with he gun due to it no being comfortable to shoot, why would you carry it and depend on it to protect your life?

I would not buy a gun for carry that I wouldn't want to put several hundred rounds through. I want to be comfortable with whatever I choose to carry.