snake revolver - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > snake revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #21
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 686

Also(if you can find it-because they don't Make DA wheel guns anymore) Colt made a version of the Diamondback in .22magnum/.22LR with no extra cyl. needed. I had one long Ago(the 80's) but when Wife#1 & I Split i needed $$ not just for the divorce but to help my Mom & kid Brothers out after Dad Died(9 weeks after #1 and I split). Mine was a 4"er and looked like the baby brother to My 6" Python...

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go...

Dr.Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
NSDQ

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 05-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1975 Times on 1070 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I do a lot of hiking in the AZ desert and while I have seen snakes, I have not had to kill any. Most will try to get away from you since you are too big to eat and are perceived as a threat. Luckily I have not run into a Mojave Green rattler. They are known to be aggressive. I usually carry my J frame 38spl with 1 round of snake shot and 4 rounds of +P varmint loads. 22lr shot loads are pretty weak.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 05-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #23

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I lost my best friend "Kell" a Gordon Setter as the results of a Mojave Green bite. They are very aggressive and will attack anything in their territory. I would like to see an animal rights person handle one of these deadly creatures.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:39 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 102

JPatterson - couldn't agree more about conversion pistols and Ruger has learned that lesson w their new 10 and 9 shot version.

I spent a lot of time in the deserts of AZ. I carried Ruger MK I -22 auto and Rugers .44 for ML. But when traveling light, I carried a 22 MAG derringer w snake shot in top barrel & HP in the bottom.

I was never very impressed w snake shots performance. Before you buy, I highly advise you shoot it first w ammo of your choice before buying. Pattern testing at various ranges is the best way to gauge performance.

2 legged Varmits are the biggest problem in AZ desert. Mojave's are small, short-tempered & very fast.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #25

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Some snakes, rattlers come to mind, will attack just because you accidentally get too close. Either to them or their nests.

We CCW to protect ourselves from the threat of a human attacker, primarily. If you're doing something where snakes are your biggest fear why wouldn't you carry and possibly kill one for defense?

Snakes and humans should coexist? Humans and humans should too. But sometimes you have to defend yourself.

If you're ok with the possibility of killing a person in defense but not a snake, then your argument holds no water with me. You're essentially putting snakes on a higher level than humans?

Makes perfect sense.....
Talk about taking a statement out of context & tossing it way out in left field
MOST snakes will get AWAY from you as fast as they can- IF its a Rattler a pissy 22 shotshell will just piss it off unless you stick the barrel down its throat--If you feel the need for shotshells go at least 38--44 is better-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 05-20-2013, 02:36 AM   #26

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
As far as a packable .22 revolver, I recommend the Heritage Arms Rough Rider. They are inexpensive, $190 - $225 range, Single action, and at the top of that price range, you can buy one with the extra .22 mag cylinder.

I haven't had mine long, but so far it's been a fine little gun. We've discussed this gun before and those that have actually owned one for several years, love them.
I second the 22 combo, the 6 1/2" barrel is nice.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #27

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Also(if you can find it-because they don't Make DA wheel guns anymore) Colt made a version of the Diamondback in .22magnum/.22LR with no extra cyl. needed. I had one long Ago(the 80's) but when Wife#1 & I Split i needed $$ not just for the divorce but to help my Mom & kid Brothers out after Dad Died(9 weeks after #1 and I split). Mine was a 4"er and looked like the baby brother to My 6" Python...

Best of luck whichever way you decide to go...

Dr.Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
NSDQ
No secondary cylinder? How did they overcome the cartridges case dimension differences?

Old 05-20-2013, 04:39 PM   #28

Default Only had to shoot one rattler

I have only encountered one rattler that I had to shoot in over 40 years of hiking in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado. I was on a hike with my cousin on a narrow path along the side of a steep mountain. We encountered a rattler, which coiled and was about to strike. My cousin was in the lead, he froze, and was only 4 feet from the snake. I took a shot with a .357 loaded with a shot shell. Hit the rattler, it was distracted enough that I got a second shot off as he pulled his head back to begin to strike - the 110gr JHP took is head off. There were a number of small punctures on the body and head of the snake. It took a solid to stop him. I do not depend upon shot shells in a barrel shorter than 6 inches in a .357/.38 or 4 inches in a .44 spl/mag. A 22LR or Mag? No thanks - I would rely on solids and hone my shooting skills.
Wayne

Old 05-20-2013, 04:57 PM   #29

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I saw a .22LR with rat shot kill a garden hose before.

Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton

No secondary cylinder? How did they overcome the cartridges case dimension differences?
Cyl. insert for the .22LR

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...