snake revolver - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > snake revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1108 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post

Umm the part about the skunk is actually terrible advice. You never want to shoot a skunk unless its from a distance with a rifle. They release their entire supply of odor (stink? What's that called?) once they are killed their muscles relax, thus releasing their entire supply.

By all means, shoot a skunk up close with a handgun! Just tell me first so I know not to be there...
Not skunk midway where you see how many of them you can shoot. Rabid as in him or me. Better to get sprayed than bit by a rabid attacking skunk. At 50 feet, not likely you could tell it was going to attack.

Just me, but I don't shoot stuff because they smell bad, or have no arms or legs. I am a admire nature kind of guy, and leave it be, when at all possible. I find that level of acceptance only possible, when one accepts the fact that we as humans do not own everything we see. Everything is not ours. The blood of other creatures does not belong to us, because we harnessed gun powder a few thousand years ago.

Hey, I am weird, I respect other creatures as my equal.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I see what you're saying. Interesting, uncommon, outlook coming from a progun kinda guy.

Rabid skunk is different. I must've missed that part. A rabid skunk is really no different than a rattler who feels threatened because a big ugly human came into its territory.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have found most shake shot rounds just have no range. They spread way too much to allow the smaller cartridge to have a lot of effect. I believe this is the niche that the revos like the Judge full pretty nice though. A 410 round put plenty of projectiles on the target and you don't have to be all that up close and personable. I've used rim fire and the 38/357 rout and just never liked the performance. I would much rather just use regular pistol ammo but you have to be a pretty good shot sometimes there depending on distance.

I don't own a 410/45LC at the moment but if I wanted a snake gun that is the rout I'd take. If I was adamant about using an existing handgun I'd probably use a 38/357. THe 22 or 22 mag rounds never did much for me.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 05-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncampbell View Post
I want to get a good, yet affordable .22 revolver that i can take with me for the snakes when i go camping. Any good suggestions?
I would think that depends on what you want to shoot through it. If you're going to use shot shells a nice long barrel in the 6" range will keep the pattern tighter. If you're going to use bullets you should go with something with a decent sight radius to help you blow the #### out of their little tiny heads. Say something in the 4-6" range. Again, if you are planning to use shot shells stay away from a 2" barrel. The shot pattern is way too wide and way to thin to depend on.

Keep in mind I'm only working off the info you provided. If concealment is an issue neither one of these will work.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3371 Times on 2282 Posts
Likes Given: 710

We have the CCI .38/.357 shot shells for my Python(Colt, not the snake!)and DW's Rugers. no snakes sighted in 17 months living in N.Az.but got a crazed Desert rat that was trying to stalk my 82lb Olde English Bulldogge(sadly he's a rescue and has "fight or flight" issues, he was hiding behind me crying and Dw was screaming "Shoot it!!"(all she had was her .32ACP derringer!) If we are walking(we're disabled,..we don't "Hike" we "walk") In the desert outside our development or down by the river that runs near us,..I always have my Python(6") In my Lawman leather shoulder rig and My everyday CC piece of late(my Ruger LC9) in my Man Purse or Belt bag with some Clips.. not looking to kill any Snakes unless they are chasing me or sizing up my Dog-son for dinner!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 05-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3182 Times on 1833 Posts
Likes Given: 2059

As far as a packable .22 revolver, I recommend the Heritage Arms Rough Rider. They are inexpensive, $190 - $225 range, Single action, and at the top of that price range, you can buy one with the extra .22 mag cylinder.

I haven't had mine long, but so far it's been a fine little gun. We've discussed this gun before and those that have actually owned one for several years, love them.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #17

Liked 232 Times on 154 Posts

I bought an LCR in LR for the same purpose. Was a little steep for a tackle box gun for me at around $400. But I really like it.
Very small and light, pretty accurate for a DAO snubbie also.

image-2804186591.jpg

Old 05-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
Umm the part about the skunk is actually terrible advice. You never want to shoot a skunk unless its from a distance with a rifle. They release their entire supply of odor (stink? What's that called?) once they are killed their muscles relax, thus releasing their entire supply.

By all means, shoot a skunk up close with a handgun! Just tell me first so I know not to be there...
LOL My sister and brother in law learned that lesson the hard way. He shot a skunk on his farm that had been hanging out too close to the house. Picked it up with a shovel and then walked over to the back door to show my sister and the kids. You can guess what happened next.

He ran to the field and chucked it as far as he could. That one always gets a laugh at family gatherings.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 05-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3728 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

LOL My sister and brother in law learned that lesson the hard way. He shot a skunk on his farm that had been hanging out too close to the house. Picked it up with a shovel and then walked over to the back door to show my sister and the kids. You can guess what happened next.

He ran to the field and chucked it as far as he could. That one always gets a laugh at family gatherings.

Awful. Very unfortunate. I almost learned it the hard way too. My dog got sprayed by a skunk one night. And I damn near went outside with a gun to kill it. I decided to do some reading about skunks online first. Glad I did cuz I learned what woulda happened. The next day one of my buddies I worked with, who I trust about sciencey things since his degrees are in chemistry and biology, confirmed it.

I don't have first hand experience with killing skunks but I've heard it enough to be leery of the idea.

Always have clean socks.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #20

Liked 749 Times on 524 Posts
Likes Given: 793

OP, I always used a H&R 976 9 shot .22 for my snake gun. 7" target barrel and sights. All the H&R 9 shot revolvers have found some collectors value these days, but you can still find them for under $200.00. These are better then conversion revolvers because the barrel is the correct size. The .22WMR uses a .224 bullet, .22lr a .222.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.