Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   snake revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/snake-revolver-90862/)

ncampbell 05-18-2013 03:32 AM

snake revolver

I want to get a good, yet affordable .22 revolver that i can take with me for the snakes when i go camping. Any good suggestions?

ScottA 05-18-2013 03:36 AM

Ruger SP101

AR10 05-18-2013 03:43 AM

Nature works hard putting the things on the ground, to keep things in balance. 99.99% of snakes you will / could ever see, are ZERO threat to anything the size of a small child or larger.

Now if you, or your toddler would rather walk / crawl around on rodent scat, take away the snakes so the rodent population goes out of balance.

You could not sit up all night, looking for an oncoming snake, so the most you could do is shoot it after you two have your chance encounter, and the snake is running away from you. He was there first, and you, camping in his home, want to shoot the snake, as he is running away. Do I have that summed up correctly?

Leave them alone, and co-exist naturally with nature. Gun for an attacking bear, rabid skunk, are possibilities. Other men attacking your camp is your greatest threat.

My 2 cents.

nitestalker 05-18-2013 04:12 AM

The OP ask a legitimate question regarding firearms. I would choose the .22 Mag. and use .22 Mag. shot loads. This load is very effective on snakes. :)

RustyShackleford101 05-18-2013 04:19 AM

I think a ruger LCR in .22 LR of mag would be a great choice

KG7IL 05-18-2013 04:44 AM

In the Arizona desert, I will carry my .45ACP 1911 with a magazine of Speer ShotShells. Don't want to find or shoot a snake, but I don't want to run into a thug either.
But these things happen. My wife is VERY afraid of snakes, and although I keep my dog's on leashes when the snake comes out, I am prepared.

I also keep insurance on the jeep, but don't plan on having an accident. I also carry extra water and gas.

With that said..... I would suggest that you think over all of your wants, needs and desires and pick a quality revolver that will still shoot well.
Adjustable sights should be high on the list. Perhaps a .357 with the Speer ShotShells would be a great choice.

I do have the .22 ShotShells but am not real impressed with them.

My motto is "If you plan on killing it, you can't be over gunned"

ScottA 05-18-2013 04:46 AM

KG has a point. You may want to consider a 38 or 357 with shot shells.

JW357 05-18-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR10 (Post 1250380)
Gun for an attacking bear, rabid skunk, are possibilities.

Umm the part about the skunk is actually terrible advice. You never want to shoot a skunk unless its from a distance with a rifle. They release their entire supply of odor (stink? What's that called?) once they are killed their muscles relax, thus releasing their entire supply.

By all means, shoot a skunk up close with a handgun! Just tell me first so I know not to be there...

JW357 05-18-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR10 (Post 1250380)
Nature works hard putting the things on the ground, to keep things in balance. 99.99% of snakes you will / could ever see, are ZERO threat to anything the size of a small child or larger.

Now if you, or your toddler would rather walk / crawl around on rodent scat, take away the snakes so the rodent population goes out of balance.

You could not sit up all night, looking for an oncoming snake, so the most you could do is shoot it after you two have your chance encounter, and the snake is running away from you. He was there first, and you, camping in his home, want to shoot the snake, as he is running away. Do I have that summed up correctly?

Leave them alone, and co-exist naturally with nature. Gun for an attacking bear, rabid skunk, are possibilities. Other men attacking your camp is your greatest threat.

My 2 cents.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Some snakes, rattlers come to mind, will attack just because you accidentally get too close. Either to them or their nests.

We CCW to protect ourselves from the threat of a human attacker, primarily. If you're doing something where snakes are your biggest fear why wouldn't you carry and possibly kill one for defense?

Snakes and humans should coexist? Humans and humans should too. But sometimes you have to defend yourself.

If you're ok with the possibility of killing a person in defense but not a snake, then your argument holds no water with me. You're essentially putting snakes on a higher level than humans?

Makes perfect sense.....

JW357 05-18-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 1250426)
KG has a point. You may want to consider a 38 or 357 with shot shells.

I agree. Here's why:

1) More effective against snakes.
2) More versatile. You can carry it in defense against humans too if you want. Or use against medium game.