Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Smith wesson saturday night special (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/smith-wesson-saturday-night-special-82737/)

jackal6 01-29-2013 01:18 AM

Smith wesson saturday night special

A guy I work with told me he'd sell me his S W Saturday night special for 150 bucks, I still have some research to do on it but it seems like a good deal to me I haven't seen it yet but he says its in real good condition what do u wise people say?

jackal6 01-29-2013 01:34 AM

I forgot he doesn't know what model it is but ill post pics when he sends them too me

c3shooter 01-29-2013 01:42 AM

I have a Ford truck. What is a good price?

That is what you just asked. S&W has been making guns for 161 years, and has made (literally) tens of millions of handguns- none of which were "Saturday Night Specials"

Get us some pictures, get us the markings, and we can probably tell you what it is. But you should understand that not everything that says "S&W" on it is in fact a Smith & Wesson firearm..You see, they also invented several of the cartridges, and named them. So if a gun is marked 32 S&W or 38 S&W, it is in that CALIBER, but could have been made by several companies.

Value of ANY gun is based on exact Make, Model, Variety and Condition. Without those 4 items, we are back to the Ford truck.

ninjatoth 01-29-2013 01:44 AM

Definition of a Saturday night special is basically a low end poorly made gun,Smith and Wesson's are not poorly made,they are the best.I'm sure he was just referring to some kind of snub nose .38 made by S&W,and even in not great condition that's a good deal no matter the model if the cylinder locks up tight and it all checks out in shootable condition.

jackal6 01-29-2013 01:52 AM

Ya I'm trying to get a pic sent right now, he said it was a 38 so that's all I know

jackal6 01-29-2013 02:26 AM

My friend just text me an said its a model 36 does this help?

CHLChris 01-29-2013 02:28 AM

A S&W Model 36 is most absolutely NOT a Saturday Night Special! Did you think that any snub-nosed revolver was called by that name? Just wondering.

Unless it has pitting in the finish or rust or something horrible, I think $150 is a really good deal. Just open the cylinder to check that it is unloaded, point in a safe direction, and pull the trigger 10+ times. Does it cycle well? Any scratchiness or crunchiness, indicating internal rust?

If it checks out, pay him as quickly as possible so he doesn't change his mind.

Snubshooter 01-29-2013 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal6 (Post 1114285)
A guy I work with told me he'd sell me his S W Saturday night special for 150 bucks, I still have some research to do on it but it seems like a good deal to me I haven't seen it yet but he says its in real good condition what do u wise people say?

"Sat. nite special" Is a LEFT wing pejorative. And IS NOT used in polite society.

jackal6 01-29-2013 02:50 AM

I'd never heard the term before so I thought it was just a term for less expensive revolvers I ment no disrespect to anyone and apologize if I've offended anyone it was simply a lack of knowledge I'm still new to the world of handguns revolvers even more so

c3shooter 01-29-2013 02:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Originally called the Chief's Special, the Model 36 is a small (J frame) 5 shot double action 38 Special, made with a 2 inch (or rarely a 3 inch) barrel. depending on the condition, AROUND $250-$300. Usually blued, sometimes nickel plated.

Attachment 82320