Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Smith and Wesson revolver question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Smith and Wesson revolver question

Hey guys, new to the forum and i have a question that im sure someone will be able to help me with.
I bought a smith and wesson model 60-3 .357 2" barrel a little while ago. The gun is in like new condition and i really like it, its very accurate and ive put probably close to three hundred rounds through it.
The only question i have is that sometimes, maybe once in a box of 50 or so, i will get a little sting on the cheek. Sometimes this does not happen at all, but just every now and again. I have done the timing check and it is dead on in time to the best of my knowledge. Now this usually happens near the end of a box of ammo, sometimes in the middle but mostly at the end of a box of 50. Now, im not shooting hot .357s out of it, just plain jane .38 special. I believe it to be just unburnt ammo and stuff. The forcing cone looks to be in spec also. Would you guys be worried about it? This may be a stupid post but im kinda anal over my guns. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #2

Liked 406 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc191122 View Post
Hey guys, new to the forum and i have a question that im sure someone will be able to help me with.
I bought a smith and wesson model 60-3 .357 2" barrel a little while ago. The gun is in like new condition and i really like it, its very accurate and ive put probably close to three hundred rounds through it.
The only question i have is that sometimes, maybe once in a box of 50 or so, i will get a little sting on the cheek. Sometimes this does not happen at all, but just every now and again. I have done the timing check and it is dead on in time to the best of my knowledge. Now this usually happens near the end of a box of ammo, sometimes in the middle but mostly at the end of a box of 50. Now, im not shooting hot .357s out of it, just plain jane .38 special. I believe it to be just unburnt ammo and stuff. The forcing cone looks to be in spec also. Would you guys be worried about it? This may be a stupid post but im kinda anal over my guns. Thanks in advance for your replies.
9 times out of 10 that's a misaligned cylinder. That sting on your cheek is usually a piece of lead that is getting shaved off the bullet as it enters the forcing cone.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
9 times out of 10 that's a misaligned cylinder. That sting on your cheek is usually a piece of lead that is getting shaved off the bullet as it enters the forcing cone.
yeah i mean, i would go with that but i have seen revolvers that would shave lead and they were out of time, i mean mine locks up perfectly every single time....i dont get it.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7616 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Go get 5 heavy manilla folders. Mark FRONT on one edge, number them 1-5. Load revolver, marking base of first round to fire with a marker. Place folder #1 across the top of revolver like a pup tent, with FRONT to the front. Fire. Will probably be blown off the gun. Repeat with 2-5. Examine folder for indications of lead shavings. If folder 3 is the one with holes thru it, mark that cylinder, take to a smith for timing check.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey thanks alot ill give that a try and see what happens. I wished I would have bought it new so I could send it back to s and w. if hindsight was 20/20. Thanks again.