Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Smith and Wesson revolver question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/smith-wesson-revolver-question-88383/)

jc191122 04-07-2013 10:09 PM

Smith and Wesson revolver question

Hey guys, new to the forum and i have a question that im sure someone will be able to help me with.
I bought a smith and wesson model 60-3 .357 2" barrel a little while ago. The gun is in like new condition and i really like it, its very accurate and ive put probably close to three hundred rounds through it.
The only question i have is that sometimes, maybe once in a box of 50 or so, i will get a little sting on the cheek. Sometimes this does not happen at all, but just every now and again. I have done the timing check and it is dead on in time to the best of my knowledge. Now this usually happens near the end of a box of ammo, sometimes in the middle but mostly at the end of a box of 50. Now, im not shooting hot .357s out of it, just plain jane .38 special. I believe it to be just unburnt ammo and stuff. The forcing cone looks to be in spec also. Would you guys be worried about it? This may be a stupid post but im kinda anal over my guns. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Olympus 04-07-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc191122 (Post 1206598)
Hey guys, new to the forum and i have a question that im sure someone will be able to help me with.
I bought a smith and wesson model 60-3 .357 2" barrel a little while ago. The gun is in like new condition and i really like it, its very accurate and ive put probably close to three hundred rounds through it.
The only question i have is that sometimes, maybe once in a box of 50 or so, i will get a little sting on the cheek. Sometimes this does not happen at all, but just every now and again. I have done the timing check and it is dead on in time to the best of my knowledge. Now this usually happens near the end of a box of ammo, sometimes in the middle but mostly at the end of a box of 50. Now, im not shooting hot .357s out of it, just plain jane .38 special. I believe it to be just unburnt ammo and stuff. The forcing cone looks to be in spec also. Would you guys be worried about it? This may be a stupid post but im kinda anal over my guns. Thanks in advance for your replies.

9 times out of 10 that's a misaligned cylinder. That sting on your cheek is usually a piece of lead that is getting shaved off the bullet as it enters the forcing cone.

jc191122 04-07-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 1206635)
9 times out of 10 that's a misaligned cylinder. That sting on your cheek is usually a piece of lead that is getting shaved off the bullet as it enters the forcing cone.

yeah i mean, i would go with that but i have seen revolvers that would shave lead and they were out of time, i mean mine locks up perfectly every single time....i dont get it.

c3shooter 04-08-2013 12:28 AM

Go get 5 heavy manilla folders. Mark FRONT on one edge, number them 1-5. Load revolver, marking base of first round to fire with a marker. Place folder #1 across the top of revolver like a pup tent, with FRONT to the front. Fire. Will probably be blown off the gun. Repeat with 2-5. Examine folder for indications of lead shavings. If folder 3 is the one with holes thru it, mark that cylinder, take to a smith for timing check.

jc191122 04-08-2013 12:44 AM

Hey thanks alot ill give that a try and see what happens. I wished I would have bought it new so I could send it back to s and w. if hindsight was 20/20. Thanks again.