Smith and Wesson Model 51 .22 Mag Revolver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Smith and Wesson Model 51 .22 Mag Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Smith and Wesson Model 51 .22 Mag Revolver

I just got this gun from my dad. Seems rate. Does anyone know anything about it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2011, 03:03 AM   #2

Rare*....sorry

Old 11-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #3

Default M-51

Is a "J" frame revolver chambered for the .22 MRF cartridge, believe it was offered with a 3.5" barrel in both Nickel & Blue and even a choice of round or square butt. I'm thinking the round butt is less often found as well as the nickel finish. No longer in production, the M-651 (Stainless Version) replaced it and I think its now out of production. The M-51 is the 1960 .22/32 Kit Gun Magnum Rimfire. Produced 1960-1974. Serial number between 52637-135465. Cherish this revolver since it came from your Dad and is also a very desirable S&W Revolver in its own right! One other thing, back in the day the factory would fit a .22 LR cylinder to the M-51 which would make it capable of firing either with the proper cylinder installed.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #4

Default .22 MRF Question

Where is the SN located? I have two number locations - one on the swing-out cylinder frame along with the model number and another on the butt of the revolver. I am trying to determine the age. Thanks much. Dan

Old 11-28-2011, 06:47 PM   #5

Default M-51 serial Number Location

Will appear on the bottom of the butt of the revolver, the number inside on the crane when the cylinder is open is a number used while the revolver is being assembled and will match the number on the inside of the side plate, thus is called an assembly number, this is in addition to the Mod. 51 stamped there. If your revolver is equipped with J Target Grips (Stocks) they will have to be removed for access to the number! If your revolver is wearing the original stocks fitted by the factory the right panel will have the revolver's serial number Stamped inside and match the number stamped on the bottom of the butt frame!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #6

Default model 51

The gun was considered a kit gun... A gun that would be part of a camping kit etc. The gun also came in a rare round butt design. It is likely yours is a square butt but if it is a round butt, it is worth substantially more $$