Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Smith & Wesson Model 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Smith & Wesson Model 500

A friend called me and said that he has S&W 500. I've known him for years and he recently got into shooting but it seemed like a huge leap. I have shot for years and don't own anything that size. He told me a family member gave it to him to repay a debt.

So the question is beside the expected recoil what else should I know about this pistol? I own a few wheel guns in 357 mag, 44 mag and 45 but haven't shot a 500 mag. He said it has a 9" barrel so that will help with the recoil. He's excited to shoot it so we will be going out to the woods in the next week to pop some rounds.

Anyoneone one here own one of these or spent any lenght of time shooting one?

Thanks in advance

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #2

I own the 4" version. I don't think you'll have any problems with recoil S&W did a great job with that brake.
The recoil is more like a big boom and push as opposed the sharp crack of the 44 Mag.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default M500

I think you will be able to adjust to the recoil. The downside to me is
the horrendous muzzle blast and factory ammunition is rather pricey.
Good luck.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:06 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Any chance of some pics of you guys trying it out, preferably unedited?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #5

The National Geographic channel is showing a program tonight, I think it's called Factory floor. They are showing the engineering, building and firing the S&W 500. 7:00 PM EST

Last edited by 753X0; 07-22-2009 at 08:46 PM.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:27 AM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Any chance of some pics of you guys trying it out, preferably unedited?
Funny and no help at all ...

Looking for people who have expereince with big boy guns

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:36 AM   #7
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 753X0 View Post
I own the 4" version. I don't think you'll have any problems with recoil S&W did a great job with that brake.
The recoil is more like a big boom and push as opposed the sharp crack of the 44 Mag.
Thanks for the info.
I'm looking forward to shooting it
Why did you buy the pistol?

Quote:

Old 07-24-2009, 04:43 AM   #8

Both I and Trex have told you what to expect. Don't be so afraid of it. Look it up on youtube and see people shooting it. My little sister in law shot mine a few times. Like I said before, the recoil feels more like a big boom and shove than a real sharp crack like the 44 Mag. If you can handle the 44 than you can handle the 500.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:55 AM   #9

I hunt primarily with handguns, and wanted to try this one out. I prefer the 4", the extra barrel length isn't needed. I'm only losing about 150 fps, with my loads. I getting 1430 fps from a 350 gr XTP FP, and great accuracy.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:21 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 753X0 View Post
Both I and Trex have told you what to expect. Don't be so afraid of it. Look it up on youtube and see people shooting it. My little sister in law shot mine a few times. Like I said before, the recoil feels more like a big boom and shove than a real sharp crack like the 44 Mag. If you can handle the 44 than you can handle the 500.
Never thought I expressed I was afraid of the the firearm, certian I asked for expereince with the firearm. I've shot 50 cal rounds full auto and shot some in a bolt action in my time. As much as I hide the fact on this forum I own a DE in 50 cal. The three examples above differ greatly. I expect this firearm differs as well. Asking what I should know about the firearm.

I check youtube, saw the good and bad.
No fear of the pistol, like to get some solid advice before I shoot a pistol I'm not use to.

Quote: