Smith & Wesson model 28 Highway Patrol - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Smith & Wesson model 28 Highway Patrol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

My first handgun was a 6” Model 27-2 that I got used in 1974. It is the Model 28 with a nice finish. Mine has one of the best out of the box double action triggers I have ever tried. It also shoots beautifully. Rugged as he**. I still have it and don’t expect to ever sell it. That said, I don’t tend to shoot it too much these days. I shoot my stainless 627 a lot more. I know I can’t really damage the finish of the 627, and the 27 is becoming a collectable classic.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastas47 View Post
Hello Folks,
I just purchased a S&W Model 28-2 Highway Patrolman .357 revolver in pretty much pristine condition. A little holster wear on the muzzle and cylinder where the bluing has worn and it does not have the original grips. Does anyone have an idea of the worth, availability/rarity of this pistol. It has a red front sight insert that I'm told was factory installed and adjustable rear sights. All mechanical aspects of the gun are sound and it has the original "duty" bluing (not the pristine shiny bluing of some guns). The serial number is N530XXX. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks...Richard
The value of your 28 is between $500-$700.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #13

Default Smith & Wesson model 28 Higway Patrolman

I don't know who told you that the red insert was factory installed, but as far as I know the Model 28 did not come from the factory with any sight inserts.

You have piqued my curiosity though, especially since you say it doesn't have the original grips. I had a Model 28 in the 70's that I lost due to financial problems caused by a divorce. Mine was a 6", so I don't think that it is the one you have, but I did replace the grips, hammer and trigger with the target versions of each and installed a red sight insert on it. I really miss that gun because it was a great shooter.

I missed it so much that I recently bought another one nearly like it. It has the oversize target grips and target hammer and I installed a new target trigger on it. It's highly accurate and has a smooth, light trigger pull. Right now I'm trying to locate a source of translucent plastic so I can install a sight insert in it. Once that is done, I'll have pretty much the same one I had 30 years ago.

Old 08-11-2011, 04:07 AM   #14

Default i need a barrel

hello all,
who can tell me where i can find a 6" nickel barrel for a 28-2

Old 08-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

The red insert in the front sight could have been a special order item. I have never seen a 28 with anything but a plain black front sight. That is not to say none were made that way. I have an old M-520 (the fixed sight version of the M-28) and it does have the red insert.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

JERK! I HATE YOU!

Lol...j/k!

Awesome on the Mod 28. I have been looking to replace one that I let get away years ago. Nice score on a fantastic revolver.

Around here a nice one can go for as much as $550.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Default picture please

We are going to need some pictures of the Smith & Wesson model 28 Highway Patrol

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhill View Post
I don't know who told you that the red insert was factory installed, but as far as I know the Model 28 did not come from the factory with any sight inserts.

You have piqued my curiosity though, especially since you say it doesn't have the original grips. I had a Model 28 in the 70's that I lost due to financial problems caused by a divorce. Mine was a 6", so I don't think that it is the one you have, but I did replace the grips, hammer and trigger with the target versions of each and installed a red sight insert on it. I really miss that gun because it was a great shooter.

I missed it so much that I recently bought another one nearly like it. It has the oversize target grips and target hammer and I installed a new target trigger on it. It's highly accurate and has a smooth, light trigger pull. Right now I'm trying to locate a source of translucent plastic so I can install a sight insert in it. Once that is done, I'll have pretty much the same one I had 30 years ago.
Back when they were still making the Model 28, you could still order Smith & Wesson wheelguns outfitted as you wanted them.

I ordered my Model 66 with a red insert, black rear sights, wide target hammer, and NARROW combat trigger.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 AM   #19

Default S&w 28-2

I've just aquired a smith and wesson model 28-2 with a 6" barrel that was my grandfathers. I'm curious about the age of the gun, the serial number is G242XXX hoping someone can help.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:06 AM   #20

Default Model 28

They are a decent workhorse and the sand-blasted finish was because these were made in part for police departments as a a no-frills .357 magnum. By not putting a high polish on them - they saved money on the labor. I have two of them and they are in perfect condition, one still in the box never fired worth more than $1000. Both have the 6" barrel that I own.