Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Smith wesson m 637 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/smith-wesson-m-637-a-80072/)

jackal6 01-02-2013 07:14 AM

Smith wesson m 637

I'm really thinking about getting this revolver going to a range tomorrow to rent one to shoot, was wondering what the wisdom here had to say about it. I'm thinking 2.5 in barrel I'm interested in using it for concealed carry any insight would be great thanks :)

HOSSFLY 01-02-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal6 (Post 1075950)
I'm really thinking about getting this revolver
Quote:

going to a range tomorrow to rent one to shoot,
was wondering what the wisdom here had to say about it. I'm thinking 2.5 in barrel I'm interested in using it for concealed carry any insight would be great thanks :)

Your worst day of shooting a S&W revolver will be better than your best day of shooting any other DA revolver :D

redscho 01-02-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal6 (Post 1075950)
I'm really thinking about getting this revolver going to a range tomorrow to rent one to shoot, was wondering what the wisdom here had to say about it. I'm thinking 2.5 in barrel I'm interested in using it for concealed carry any insight would be great thanks :)

The Smith Wesson J-Frame has become the most popular small frame personal defense revolver on the market. I have the 638, same as 637 except with shrouded hammer that allows you to shoot single action as well as double action. I think after you try one you will find it is a bit brutal to shoot, not something you would want to spend the afternoon with at the range. That being said, It is still an excellent concealed carry weapon.

phildenton 01-02-2013 01:03 PM

Id recommend a model 60,

Barney1023 01-02-2013 01:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Love my 637. I don't find it hard to shoot. I do have smaller hands maybe that has something to do with it but I shoot regular power ammo 125 gr. swc and carry Hornady critical defense for ccw both shoot Awsome. I'm not messing with +p stuff myself don't see the need to and the sights were dead on with regular power stuff. But regular power ammo feels pretty good to shoot for me. Not as snappy as the little 380s. Da and sa trigger is Awsome. And at 15 to 25 yards it shoots about as accurate as my Blackhawk 357. There great little guns about forget its in my pocket. Oh yea I even thought it was tame enough to put a set of wood grips on it.

jackal6 01-02-2013 06:15 PM

Thanks for the great info guys I guys the range today will be the deciding factor ;) oh and what do you gents believe a fair price to buy one would be? New or used, I'd be willing to by used if I could find one been trying online with little luck, but 350 to 450 seems to be the going price I've seen

jackal6 01-02-2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney1023
Love my 637. I don't find it hard to shoot. I do have smaller hands maybe that has something to do with it but I shoot regular power ammo 125 gr. swc and carry Hornady critical defense for ccw both shoot Awsome. I'm not messing with +p stuff myself don't see the need to and the sights were dead on with regular power stuff. But regular power ammo feels pretty good to shoot for me. Not as snappy as the little 380s. Da and sa trigger is Awsome. And at 15 to 25 yards it shoots about as accurate as my Blackhawk 357. There great little guns about forget its in my pocket. Oh yea I even thought it was tame enough to put a set of wood grips on it.

Beautiful revolver I would love something like that, barrels shorter than what I originally had in mind but now I'm not sure lol

jackal6 01-04-2013 09:52 PM

The local range/ gun store didn't have a 637 :/ I was pretty sad but I shot my 1911 instead so it wasn't a total waste of a day :)

blucoondawg 01-04-2013 10:12 PM

I got a 642 airweight which is the DA only hammerless model for Christmas for the wife. I found them anywhere from 399 to 449, the high end was at Gander Mountain who charges full out msrp for every gun I've ever looked at there, I got mine at Fleet Farm for 399, I also asked a friend of a friend who is a gun dealer and he said go and grab that one for 399 it's a good price which leads me to believe he wouldn't have been able to get it to me any cheaper. This isn't typical, our LGS's usually have better prices than Fleet Farm but they do good on the J frames.