Smith & Wesson Governor - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Smith & Wesson Governor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
what is the difference between the judge and the Governor?
One's a Smith and Wesson. . .

If that's not enough, the Governor uses ACP rounds and carries 6. Another big difference is that I never even thought about owning a Judge and I really would like a Governor.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Great report! I'm still not sold on the 410 handgun idea but the Governor at least makes it a platform worthy of trying.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 PM   #13

Liked 847 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 988

This takes moon clips?! Nonsense!!... Hasnt technology advanced further than that....

Old 06-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #14

Liked 71 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Actually halfmoon clips make great speed loaders. The Governor come with full moon and 2 shot 1/3 moon clips. I know the more I shoot this revolver, the more I'm goig to like it. Speaking of technology, revolvers are very old tech but still useful. And what Ilike about that old technology is that it's either loaded or not, and no worries as to how many in the magazine or is one up the spout. I carried a Model 60 with me everyday in Viet Nam then thru my 31 LEO career I carried a J frame backup. Now long retired I still carry a Smith 5 shot revolver everywhere. That one is the new polymer Bodyguard in 38 Special that I really shoot well. I guess I'm an old guy who still likes old tech revolvers.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #15

Liked 847 Times on 549 Posts
Likes Given: 988

Im just messin with ya' cause my revolver doesnt need 'em..... I can even mix & match ammo...
I think all the new multi-calibers should use Phillips design.....

Old 06-06-2011, 02:03 AM   #16

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Page 28 of the online revolver owners manual from S&W states the following

"*45ACP AMMUNITION REQUIRES THE USE OF 2-ROUND OR FULL MOON(6-ROUND) CLIPS. HALF MOON (3-ROUND) CLIPS SHOULD NOT BE
USED IN THE GOVERNOR™ REVOLVER."

It doesn't make sense to me, but now that you have it, it may or may not make sense to you, please advice your opinion after using halfmoon clips.

Did the revolver came with them?

Also page 29 says:

"Full moon and two-round moon clips are provided with the S&W Governor from the factory. Additional or replacement moon clips
can be purchased from the S&W Website or by calling the
Customer Service Department.
45 ACP should only be used in the S&W Governor with moon clips.
Cartridges should not be loaded into the cylinder without either 2-
round or 6-round moon clips."

My point is: If you can use 2 rnd clips and can use fullmoon clips, why S&W would disapprove 3rnd clips?

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 06-06-2011, 02:20 AM   #17

Trez, I have a Model 547 9mm that doesn't need clips either, but that was a really expensive ejection system to manufacture.
Mandy, Come to think of it when we did use halfmoon clips they were very tight going in and out. I think there may be a slight dimensional difference with the Governor cylinder and the 1917/1955 Models cylinder. The full moon and the 2 shot I call 1/3 moon clips worked with ease. That said the halfmoon clips we used did work though.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag318 View Post
Trez, I have a Model 547 9mm that doesn't need clips either, but that was a really expensive ejection system to manufacture.
Mandy, Come to think of it when we did use halfmoon clips they were very tight going in and out. I think there may be a slight dimensional difference with the Governor cylinder and the 1917/1955 Models cylinder. The full moon and the 2 shot I call 1/3 moon clips worked with ease. That said the halfmoon clips we used did work though.
I can understand that, but I can't understand why S&W didn't made a half moon clip specially designed for the governor............

This revolver woke up my desire for another revolver, to bad davidsons has a back order............. oh well I'll have to wait some more

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #19

Mandy, that's a great question. I was surprised to see the 2 shot clips that came with my Governor. I'm sure this revolver is going to be a huge seller for them so you have to wonder why no halfmoon clips. Doesn't make sense. My dealer use to be a huge S&W distributor that still has close ties to the company. I'm going there this afternoon and have them pose the question to S&W.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #20

Mandy,
I got my owners manual out and it does state not to use halfmoon clips. So I dug out my Governor and I thing I figured out why. The rear of the cylinder has a counterbore type relief cut to accomodate the full moon and two shot clips. The older halfmoon clips are cut a little differently so as not to fit inside this counterbore. The halfmoon clip I had worked but they did fit inside the counterbore. I think they are worried about older halfmoons from older guns not fitting. These clips I don't remember where I got them and even what they were for but they were cut differently from WW1 style clips. So all I can say it if you buy a Governor try your halfmoon clips and see if they fit or not. You'll see the releived portion in my photo, the newer clips go right in as do my aftermarket halfmoons, but older ones will not. All halfmoon clips are not the same and S&W advised against using them because of this. I'm sure though they'll be coming out with an appropriate halfmoon clip. The halfmoon clips I used looked like fullmoon clip cut in half clipping the cartridge rim from the inside not the outside like the older clips.

dsc01962.jpg  

Last edited by mag318; 06-07-2011 at 04:14 AM.