Smith & Wesson Governor
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Smith & Wesson Governor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Smith & Wesson Governor

My local dealer received his allotment of the new S&W Governors today. I was hoping I wouldn't like it, I was wrong. From the photos I saw I thought the thing was ugly, but not so in person. This is a really neat revolver that feels very good in hand. Between the excellent ballance and the Hogue grips, the gun just feels right. The action is glass smooth with perfect timing. Being my first multi calibre handgun I'm looking forward to seeing how it shoots.

dsc01971.jpg   dsc01955.jpg   dsc01984.jpg   dsc01981.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I look forward to the range report. I might be selling my Judge.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 06-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
I look forward to the range report.
Indeed. As am I.

You will be the first here that has acquired one. If I had a choice between a Judge and a Governor, I would pick the Governor hands down.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #4

I'm on the wait list for one -- glad to hear your experience so far is positive.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
You will be the first here that has acquired one. If I had a choice between a Judge and a Governor, I would pick the Governor hands down.
Yeah, it's not even an option for me as I couldn't own a Taurus, but in this case I know S&W targets serious folks only to take an interest in their take on this gun, shooters that desire quality and a 100% American made craft, rather than a foreign novelty that drew countless folks, many of whom bought the "Judge" as their first firearm. . . period.

You can also rest easy that Smith and Wesson has had plenty of time to work out the bugs and was in NO rush to compete.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #6

I made it to the range today with two friends who are also retired LEOs. First off let me say that the Governor was a lot of fun to shoot and performed flawlessly with everything we put thru it. My biggest concern was how 45 acp would do out of such a long cylinder, these concerns proved groundless. We loaded up several full moon, half moon and the 1/3 moon clips that came with the gun, starting with Federal 230 grn ball ammo. I believe this is what S&W regulates the sights with. Starting at 5 yards we shot at an all white reversed silouette putting a ShootnSee small sticker as the target. The Governor shot exactly to the point of aim with 6 shots grrouping into one jagged hole and obliterating the stick on. Moving back to 7 yards the results were the same. Next we moved to 10 and 15 yards and the groups started to open up a bit but were still under 4". Considering this is not a target revolver and the barrel is only 2 3/4", I'll take this kind of accuracy anyday. We shot the following 45 acp ammo
150 rnds Federal 230 grn Ball
50 rnds Federal 230 grn HST
20 rnds Winchester 230 grn PDX1
All this ammunition shot to point of aim out to 15 yards.
Next came some 45 Colt with first up being Winchester 250 grn Cowboy loads. This stuff shoot tight goups like the ACP but grouped just slightly higher. We fired.
50 rnds Winchester 250 grn lead Cowboy loads
50 rnds Winchester 255 grn lead standard loads
20 rnds Remington 225 grn LSWHPs
20 rnds Speer 200 grn GDHPs
The Governor has a preference for jacketed ammo but for defensive purposes the lead was fine and great fun to shoot.
Now for the fun stuff 410s.
We started off with an assortment of Federal and Winchester Game loads with No 9,8 and 6 shot. Shooting at a B1 silouette at 5 yards is shot a wide pattern. Moving closer to 3 yards it tightened up considerably. Back to 10 yards the pattern was larger than the target. Next shooting performance ammo Winchester PDX1 and Federal 000 buck was very impressive. This stuff would be very deadly at close range and would be great for home defense. We shot.
24 rnds each of Winchester and Federal game loads with 9, 8 and 6 shot. This would be great for snakes, birds and zombies at close range. If you shot any of the zombies in the face their eyes would be gone and the rest shreaded. It's nasty to think of what that would do to even a charging beast if you hit it in the face.
20 rnds Federal Handgun 000 copper plated Buck consisting of 4 pellets. This was a fairly hot load and would definately ruin a zombies day.
20 Winchester PDX1. This has has 3 flat disks followed by several BB size shot, and was the most devastating 410 load shot.
I have to say this new Governor was just plain fun to shoot and my two friends are going to my dealer Monday to buy one each (hope they're not all gone). Even though the Scadium frame is light it handled the recoil comfortably, the Hogue grips felt perfect. The only thing ending or range session was running out of ammo. For fun we were shooting hand tossed clay pidgeons from 10/15 feet which was fun. We also shot some gallon waterjugs at 25 yards with 45 Colt and ACP ammo.
Conclusions.
Smith & Wesson built a quality revolver here that was much more accurate than I expected.
The trigger was very smooth with perfect timing double action and very crisp single action.
Extraction with 45 acp was flawless due to the cartridge length. Some of the 45 Colt cases had to be pulled out as were all the 410 cases.
The fixed sights were perfectly regulated for 230 grn 45 acp ball ammo.
The front night sight was a nice touch.
My only regret was forgetting to bring my camera but that will be rectified on the next outing. And again I have to say what a fun revolver this is to shoot. A lot of people think 410/45 revolver are a worthless fad and to those I say, shoot the Governor then see what you think. I'm impressed.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:29 AM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-05-2011, 04:19 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

what is the difference between the judge and the Governor?

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 06-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #9

The Governor is a 6 shot revolver opposed to the Judges 5. The S&W has a state of the art scandium frame and a much smoother action. The Judge was the first truly successful 410/45 revolver although there were one or two before it. And the Judge is probably the most popular revolver in the Taurus line with about a dozen versions. I have a 3" steel framed Judge also and can't fault it, I just like the new Governor better.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I read the above report correctly The Smith is shooting 45 ACP, the judge doesn't as I recall.

Great report Mag

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.