Smith and Wesson Governor - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Smith and Wesson Governor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Maybe!

I was kinda half joking, but I do imagine that the population in and`around the Smith and Wesson family, or any highly crafted production Co., doesn't forget much when it comes to another company competing against you with your own design. . . .

Hmmmmm. . . . maybe I will get a "Governor"

Old 01-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I plan on getting one ASAP if I can find an FFL that will do a LE transfer.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just for my understanding: The Judge/Governor is legal because it is a 45 cal revolver that is capable of firing a .410 shot shell.

A 12 GA only with be a pistol grip Short barrel shotgun, right?

Along those lines, if Smith & wesson invented a .72 or .73 caliber round for the 12 GA Governor could they market a new .72 or .73 cal revolver that just happens to be capable of firing 12 GA shells?

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 01-27-2011, 03:43 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How exactly does Taurus build knock-offs using tooling provided to them by the manufacturers in question? The S&W tooling came from them when they partnered with Taurus to begin manufacturing S&W's there, but later backed out of the deal. Same for Beretta.
If I buy a GM plant and begin producing cars with the tooling I bought, are those cars knock-offs? They are built to the same standards as when GM built them.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:40 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallascj View Post
How exactly does Taurus build knock-offs using tooling provided to them by the manufacturers in question? The S&W tooling came from them when they partnered with Taurus to begin manufacturing S&W's there, but later backed out of the deal. If I buy a GM plant and begin producing cars with the tooling I bought, are those cars knock-offs?
Yes, they are knock-offs. Same tooling doesn't = same product. Since there's about a thousand other factors that go into the manufacturing (material quality and skilled craftsman come to mind just a bit. ) of a specific product, there's no way they could ever be the same.

I'm not saying that "knock-offs" are necessarily bad. Ruger pulled a historically mysterious move in the production of the .44 Magnum. Smith and Wesson (Elmer Keith) already had a prototype of the model 29 and had been developing cartridges of .44 magnum power/pressures for years (time-lines often conflict) before Bill Ruger had begun experimentation, yet Ruger managed to release the first .44 magnum pistol available to consumers.

Was that a knock-off. Some say no, I say YES.

You ever want some great reading check out "Sixguns" by Elmer Keith. Awesome history book.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:37 AM   #16

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Obviously Ruger got some ammo from Remington to play with. Had to be to Remington's financial advantage to have more firearms to fire their new cartridge.