smith and wesson ctg - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > smith and wesson ctg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

Of course one should follow the manufacturers recomendations on ammo. Metalurgy and heat treatment on this series of revolvers is better than the previous generation and not a good as the next generation. The knowledge of the maker evolves with time.

To make a blanket statement tht you can shoot +P in your revolver, sight unseen is (IMHO) somewhat irresponsible.

The main problem you will experience from a steady diet of +P ammo is a condition called "End Shake, Cylinder". This is caused by the peening and shortening of the crane (the part the cylinder spins on and that swings open to expose the cylinder for loading/unloading). Pre '77 cranes were prone to this. It is a condition that is fairly easily corrected and is much more slow to reappear after fixed with shims.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-09-2009, 01:50 AM   #12
WDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Of course one should follow the manufacturers recomendations on ammo. Metalurgy and heat treatment on this series of revolvers is better than the previous generation and not a good as the next generation. The knowledge of the maker evolves with time.

To make a blanket statement tht you can shoot +P in your revolver, sight unseen is (IMHO) somewhat irresponsible.

The main problem you will experience from a steady diet of +P ammo is a condition called "End Shake, Cylinder". This is caused by the peening and shortening of the crane (the part the cylinder spins on and that swings open to expose the cylinder for loading/unloading). Pre '77 cranes were prone to this. It is a condition that is fairly easily corrected and is much more slow to reappear after fixed with shims.
Robo,
When you have the time could you maybe start a new thread and explain End Shake, Cylinder in more detail. Something I have interest in and expect it could help several others. I'd ask here but don't want to hijack this thread.

Thanks

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-09-2009, 01:28 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I can do that.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #14

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default plus P ammo

Here is a link to a article written by member in the smith and wesson forums that is about plus P ammo some my find interesting.

Smith and Wesson Forums • View topic - FAQ - My +P study.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #15

Default end shake

Here is a vidoe in you tube to show you how to fix endshake.It would probably take you about 30 years of shooting plusp ammo to need to do this but here is a video that shows how easy it is to fix it.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I can do that.
Thanks, it would be much appreciated

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onenut58 View Post
Here is a vidoe in you tube to show you how to fix endshake.It would probably take you about 30 years of shooting plusp ammo to need to do this but here is a video that shows how easy it is to fix it.

YouTube - Gunsmith - Fix excessive cylinder endshake in S&W revolver
I have a 1955 45 made before it was given a model number and expect it has never had +P ammo shot though it. I know for the 15+ years I've owned the pistol it hasn't. All the same it has end shake and considering it's 54 years old I'm not surprised, overall it's a great pistol and truly want to correct this issue. The vid was pretty good but lacked the detail about the gap, it showed how to measure but didn't explain the measurement in relation to size of spacer required.

Quote:

Old 07-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #18

Default endshake

Just use a automotive feeler gauge the flat style and it should be 5 to 6 thousanths of a inch between the forcing cone and the cylinder face and buy the apropriate shim(washer) to make up the difference.
Its not a exspensive job and a good gun smith wouldnt charge a lot to do it if you dont feel comforatable doing it your self.
You have a valuable smith and wesson. The 1955 target was a pre model 25. that used the two piece moon clips for the 45 acp. The newer one piece will work also or the autorims with out the clips.It came out the same year as the pre 29 44 magnum and is built on the same big N frame. It was a improvement of the old model 1950 that target shooters complained of being to light. The barrel was made heavier with a rib and it is a very acurate old five screw gun.I dont know if they came out with coke bottle grips like the pre 29 or not. But a set of cokes goes for about 300 bucks alone.
Any pre model smith is a collectors item and yours wasnt made long before the model designations in 1957.Have you got a Roy Jinks letter on it yet? If your going to pass the gun down I would.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:30 AM   #19
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm fine with doing the work myself. The pistol has value and it is truly fun to shoot, I use the full moon clips and they work great. I did get the history from S&W/Roy Jinks, it was only $30 and assisted in obtaining a fair value for insurance. My insurance company had valued it as a model 25.

Quote:

Old 08-18-2009, 05:39 AM   #20

Default Smith & Wesson Mod. 15-3

I work in Public Safety and just bought a S&W ctg mod 15-3 from my Captain who is not into firearms. I got in in fair cond. with a 1000 rounds of 38sp in the box for 150.00!!!! Gawd I was just reading about how much it's worth and it's value as a gun. I took her shooting today and LOVE IT!!!!! She sits right next to my Glock 23 in the safe on TOP shelf!!

What a great weapon!

- Andy in Atlanta