Smith & Wesson 642 finish
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Smith & Wesson 642 finish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Smith & Wesson 642 finish

My wife wants to get a S&W 642 snubby and she really likes the one with the black finish because it's not as "flashy". My question is how durable is the finish. It will probably spend most of it's life in a purse so some scratches are expected, but will the black scratch off easily. My thought is that the stainless steel finish will be much more durable.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The frame on the 642's are an alloy and not stainless steel. I do agree that the matte black finish will show scratches easier than the matte silver.

Either way, your going for function and not appearence (I hope).

Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #3

I've always been one to prefer function over appearance, but -and ladies please don't get me wrong- women often times put appearance pretty high up on the list. I just don't want to have to buy another one in a couple of years because "this one's all scratched up": If she doesn't notice the scratches, it will probably stay in her purse longer.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Have her pick the one she likes and stick it in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster to "protect it" (and keep the trigger covered) in her purse. I have had both the 442 and the 642 and find them about equally durable. Currently have a 642 and it doesn't show the scratches an EDC gun gets quite as much as my 442 did, but I don't really care; it's a carry piece. I have a dressed up PPK/S replete with lots of bling for BBQ's and Weddings.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:42 AM   #5

Thanks, good to know. I'll look into the pocket holster. My wife wants a purse with a built in gun pocket but Coach doesn't make any yet (tongue in cheek). I gotta tell you though, I get frustrated with the way S & W assigns model numbers to their guns. It is so confusing. For what ever reason, I thought the 442 was their super light model 340 (I think?) scandium j-frame. There nice guns, but the 3 oz weight difference just isn't worth the price difference. Maybe I'm just cheap. Anyway, thanks for the reply