Small revolver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Small revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3588 Times on 1993 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Default Small revolver

I really like revolvers, and I've been thinking I want one... or three...
So, I've been looking at a Ruger LCR and a S&W Lady Smith

Question for the day
Pro's and con's of each
Other suggestions
And opinions (be gentle)

3 gallons of crazy in a 2 gallon bucket

Know your limits; exceed them often

That which does not kill me had better run pretty damn fast.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2011, 02:50 AM   #2

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Small revolver?

You say you like revolvers. Do you prefer small frame wheel guns to larger, and if so, may I ask why?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMHO, the easiest shooting of the small frame wheelies is the SP101

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 07-03-2011, 03:04 AM   #4
I'm a mechanic, I fix problems you didn't know you had, in ways you do not understand
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
You say you like revolvers. Do you prefer small frame wheel guns to larger, and if so, may I ask why?
I was looking for something that I would carry. I'm a small girl with small hands, so I was thinking a small gun would be best, I carry a Ruger SR9C right now but still have a hard time concealing even that...

Old 07-03-2011, 03:08 AM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
IMHO, the easiest shooting of the small frame wheelies is the SP101
+1 you can never go wrong with a Ruger revolver...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-03-2011, 03:25 AM   #6

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I was looking for something that I would carry. I'm a small girl with small hands, so I was thinking a small gun would be best, I carry a Ruger SR9C right now but still have a hard time concealing even that...
Got it. Totally understand the small hands thing. It sounds like you know what you are looking for. What method of concel carry do you will use? In a handbag, perhaps?

Old 07-03-2011, 03:47 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post
Got it. Totally understand the small hands thing. It sounds like you know what you are looking for. What method of concel carry do you will use? In a handbag, perhaps?
I leave my purses places too frequently to trust myself with a gun in one, I've been carrying in a shoulder holster but thinking IWB either right in front or back of my hip, I don't think I could carry it on my side... I'd run into too many things

Old 07-03-2011, 04:12 AM   #8

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 View Post
I leave my purses places too frequently to trust myself with a gun in one, I've been carrying in a shoulder holster but thinking IWB either right in front or back of my hip, I don't think I could carry it on my side... I'd run into too many things
Please don't take my butting in as anything but an attempt to be helpful but IWB carry is generally not all that effective or comfortable for women. Seems that men are relatively flat from the hips to the legs whereas women have hips that cause the holster to flare out...and force the grip into your ribcage...

I have attached a link which may be helpful in identifying some options other than a shoulder rig that I cannot imagine is very comfortable...

Concealed Carry for Women

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-03-2011, 04:19 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had a few female friends say that they would like to carry a gun for self-defense and ask about carry methods. I always try to be helpful but I'm a guy (a wide one ) and therefore I don't have the same issues trying to conceal a weapon that a woman does. So, I just wanted to post a link to a video my GF found last year. The woman in the video is quite knowledgable on concealed carry issues that women face that us guys are clueless about:

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:28 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9398 Times on 4050 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

The S&W J frame revolvers, such as the ladysmith or Chief's Special are durable, reliable, surprisingly accurate. They are about 1899 era technology.

The LCR is a newer gun, but getting a decent rep. DO check the weights of each. A lighter gun is less hassle to carry, but can be MUCH harder to handle with snappy self defense loads.

Try to find a range that rents guns, and see which YOU like.

PS- my go-to CCW gun is a S&W Mdl 36- more than old enuff to vote, and shoots quite well, thank'ee.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.