Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Small revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/small-revolver-44643/)

Cinderocka1989 07-03-2011 01:43 AM

Small revolver

I really like revolvers, and I've been thinking I want one... or three...
So, I've been looking at a Ruger LCR and a S&W Lady Smith

Question for the day
Pro's and con's of each
Other suggestions
And opinions (be gentle) :)

NOVA 07-03-2011 01:50 AM

Small revolver?

You say you like revolvers. Do you prefer small frame wheel guns to larger, and if so, may I ask why?

mesinge2 07-03-2011 02:04 AM

IMHO, the easiest shooting of the small frame wheelies is the SP101

Cinderocka1989 07-03-2011 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVA (Post 533454)
You say you like revolvers. Do you prefer small frame wheel guns to larger, and if so, may I ask why?

I was looking for something that I would carry. I'm a small girl with small hands, so I was thinking a small gun would be best, I carry a Ruger SR9C right now but still have a hard time concealing even that...

Jpyle 07-03-2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesinge2 (Post 533460)
IMHO, the easiest shooting of the small frame wheelies is the SP101

+1 you can never go wrong with a Ruger revolver...

NOVA 07-03-2011 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 (Post 533461)
I was looking for something that I would carry. I'm a small girl with small hands, so I was thinking a small gun would be best, I carry a Ruger SR9C right now but still have a hard time concealing even that...

Got it. Totally understand the small hands thing. It sounds like you know what you are looking for. What method of concel carry do you will use? In a handbag, perhaps?

Cinderocka1989 07-03-2011 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NOVA (Post 533466)
Got it. Totally understand the small hands thing. It sounds like you know what you are looking for. What method of concel carry do you will use? In a handbag, perhaps?

I leave my purses places too frequently to trust myself with a gun in one, I've been carrying in a shoulder holster but thinking IWB either right in front or back of my hip, I don't think I could carry it on my side... I'd run into too many things

Jpyle 07-03-2011 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinderocka1989 (Post 533473)
I leave my purses places too frequently to trust myself with a gun in one, I've been carrying in a shoulder holster but thinking IWB either right in front or back of my hip, I don't think I could carry it on my side... I'd run into too many things

Please don't take my butting in as anything but an attempt to be helpful but IWB carry is generally not all that effective or comfortable for women. Seems that men are relatively flat from the hips to the legs whereas women have hips that cause the holster to flare out...and force the grip into your ribcage...:eek:

I have attached a link which may be helpful in identifying some options other than a shoulder rig that I cannot imagine is very comfortable...

Concealed Carry for Women

mesinge2 07-03-2011 03:19 AM

I have had a few female friends say that they would like to carry a gun for self-defense and ask about carry methods. I always try to be helpful but I'm a guy (a wide one :D) and therefore I don't have the same issues trying to conceal a weapon that a woman does. So, I just wanted to post a link to a video my GF found last year. The woman in the video is quite knowledgable on concealed carry issues that women face that us guys are clueless about:

c3shooter 07-03-2011 03:28 AM

The S&W J frame revolvers, such as the ladysmith or Chief's Special are durable, reliable, surprisingly accurate. They are about 1899 era technology.

The LCR is a newer gun, but getting a decent rep. DO check the weights of each. A lighter gun is less hassle to carry, but can be MUCH harder to handle with snappy self defense loads.

Try to find a range that rents guns, and see which YOU like.

PS- my go-to CCW gun is a S&W Mdl 36- more than old enuff to vote, and shoots quite well, thank'ee.