Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Single or Double Action recoil? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/single-double-action-recoil-35101/)

amstutz 12-02-2010 09:56 PM

Single or Double Action recoil?

I have heard that the recoil from shooting single action is less than the recoil from shooting double action. This claim was made specifically in regard to the Super Redhawk .44 magnum. I does not seem logical or reasonable to me. Is there any truth to the claim?
Thanks

danf_fl 12-02-2010 10:30 PM

The grip of the firearm MAY play with how the recoil is felt. Other factors include the weight of the firearm, ammo, etc...

The single action grip will normally allow the firearm to rotate upwards. The double action will not.

HKSlinger 12-02-2010 11:00 PM

Now,let me see if I've got this right. Recoil,from the same gun,is different shooting single action then double action? I have NEVER heard that. I'd like to know if its true as well. I don't have any wheel guns though. I wonder if semi autos could act the same?

amstutz 12-02-2010 11:09 PM

Actually I saw a video on U Tube where the shooter explained that single action was less recoil, then shot double action and claimed there was much more recoil. I don't understand that at all.

dunerunner 12-02-2010 11:10 PM

I notice that in the process of operating the trigger on some DA revolvers, especially larger caliber handguns, my grip changes. This becomes uncomfortable for me and I find myself firing the weapon as a SA to afford better control. Could be the grips aren't what would be ideal, for me, or the shifting of the weapon when fired. It is worse weak side than strong side and doesn't occur with a classic two handed grip.

spittinfire 12-02-2010 11:25 PM

The only thing I've heard is about the single action grip allowing the gun to rotate in your hand and reduces felt recoil but as dan mentioned there are other factors. Once I get a chance to shoot my Super Blackhawk I can compare it to my 629 and let you know.

diggsbakes 12-03-2010 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 396080)
Once I get a chance to shoot my Super Blackhawk I can compare it to my 629 and let you know.

Those will differ greatly, Spitty, even when shooting the 629 in SA mode.

The differences in SA vs. DA in respect to the same gun will differ only in the hand of the shooter. The gun will recoil the same every time it is shot with a common round. It feels greater in DA, because your hand is in motion, you are more stable usually in SA and many other reasons that are simply physiological.

JonM 12-03-2010 02:25 AM

the recoil forces are the exact same. laws of physics dont change by pulling a trigger. percieved recoil could if the gun grip doesnt fit you for the singl vs double.

winds-of-change 12-03-2010 02:44 AM

When I shoot my revolver single or double action I can't tell the difference in recoil......but, that being said, I'm not an experienced enough shooter to notice subtle differences. I do like single action better simply because of the ease of the trigger squeeze.

diggsbakes 12-03-2010 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 396173)
the recoil forces are the exact same.

Given the same load in the same gun. . . . yes. :)