Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Single Action Revolvers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Single Action Revolvers

Most of the threads/photos I see are of double actions and while I love them as well I thought it would be nice to have a single thread with a bunch of photos and info on all the different single actions we have.

I'm a big cowboy fan from when I was little. My first single action was a Ruger New Black Hawk .357 with a 4 3/4" barrel which I ended up selling. At the time I didn't think about getting a Colt SAA due to price. I absolutely wanted a Colt at some point due to the history with them. Eventually I hope to own a 1st or 2nd gen SAA.

Recently, missing having a single action, I've sort of gone hardcore into them again. First pick up two weeks ago was a Uberti El Patron CMS 3.5" .357. It is tuned from the factory with Wolff springs and they have been tested and certified for flawless fit and function.

Mine locks up tight and has a great fit and finish. The checkered grips are great! The CCH (color case hardening) isn't "real". It isn't done in a furnance with charcoal. It doesn't look bad at all, but just different.

Below is my EMF Great Western II Custom. The Custom EMF's are hand fitted and polished at the factory. The pistol is sent to Turnbull Restoration (Doug Turnbull) to be CCH. This is the real deal and it looks stunning! Before I received the EMF I didn't think there would be a huge difference between the CCH when comparing to the Uberti, but there is. My EMF has the Express grip with some beautiful checkered wood grips. It is setup with a 4 3/4" barrel.

After ordering those two I realized I wasn't done. Back off to Gunbroker I went. I scored another Uberti El Patron, but in a 4 3/4" barrel this time. After that one I realized I wanted something a bit more original. I started to look at USFA's but since they arn't made anymore prices were pretty close to what I could pay, and at some points exceeded, the price of an actual Colt SAA.

All these revolvers were in .357 Mag and I knew if I was to get a Colt it had to be in .45. It would be my only firearm chambered in it, but it is just too perfect not to get it chambered in that caliber.

Found one on GB for a decent price, new in box and bought it. 4 3/4", blued/case colored, black rubber grips. Now it's a waiting game for the Colt, the Uberti, and some .45 ammo to arrive.

I'm looking forward to running these at the range. If they shoot as well as they look i'll be happy.

What do I shoot with? Canon gear of course

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #2

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just posted in the revolver thread, but I'll show mine here too.

I, like you, have always had a fascination with these things, but never made the effort to own one. I saw the recent Ruger New Vaquero's that were the TALO Exclusive. They were stainless, 3 3/4" barrel, and offered in .45acp or .45LC. They came with a birds head grip frame and gray laminate stocks. I fell in love with birds head grips at that moment.

I kept my eyes peeled for a while, but not much was available, especially for the spare cash I had. I came across a local fellow selling a few 'old' Vaqueros. He had a stainles and a case colored .357 with the birds head grips. I almost went with the stainless, but it just didn't seem right on a gun like this. The cowboys weren't running around with stainless revolvers!

I picked up the Case colored one. If you didnt know this, Ruger's case coloring was about the worst imitation out there. So bad and so weak (it rusted off nearly instantly if you put the gun in a safe) that ruger was re-blueing the whole guns for free, and stopped making the case color.

Anyway, it looked like crap when i got it. The blueing was PERFECT, but the case coloring was gone and replaced with a nasty brown color. I hit the frame with a terry cloth and some good cleaning products, and just rubbed it down. Took it alot closer to bare metal and it came out great. Looks like the frame is 100 years old. too bad the blueing is perfct haha.

If i had the cash, I'd send it off to turnbull for the REAL thing, but that's putting $350 into a $400 gun.

I've got a super Black Hawk hammer on the way, and I'll be ordering a set of checkered 'ivory' grips for it.

Anyway, enough of the story telling, time for the gun.

Picked up a rig recently too. Really need to get some patina on the leather and the bluing. Time to wear the crap outta the gun and the leather!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
People Like This 
Old 06-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Well, bless you for askin'! Here are some of my .44s, mostly .44 Magnums:

And here are a couple of .44 Specials I recently acquired:

And here are my .45 Colt Single Actions:

I DO like the Single action revolver.

Bob Wright

Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #4

Liked 240 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 21

As to the finish on the older Vaqueros, here is mine, a .45 Colt bought in 1996 but hardly fired at just over 2,700 rounds fired. And for the last three or four years has resided in a cigar box as my workshop gun.

I've kept it oiled with my receipe of 50/50 automotive motor oil and Three In One oil.

Bob Wright

Old 06-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #5

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
Most of the threads/photos I see are of double actions and while I love them as well I thought it would be nice to have a single thread with a bunch of photos and info on all the different single actions we have.

I'm a big cowboy fan from when I was little. My first single action was a Ruger New Black Hawk .357 with a 4 3/4" barrel which I ended up selling. At the time I didn't think about getting a Colt SAA due to price. I absolutely wanted a Colt at some point due to the history with them. Eventually I hope to own a 1st or 2nd gen SAA.

Recently, missing having a single action, I've sort of gone hardcore into them again. First pick up two weeks ago was a Uberti El Patron CMS 3.5" .357. It is tuned from the factory with Wolff springs and they have been tested and certified for flawless fit and function.

Mine locks up tight and has a great fit and finish. The checkered grips are great! The CCH (color case hardening) isn't "real". It isn't done in a furnance with charcoal. It doesn't look bad at all, but just different.

Below is my EMF Great Western II Custom. The Custom EMF's are hand fitted and polished at the factory. The pistol is sent to Turnbull Restoration (Doug Turnbull) to be CCH. This is the real deal and it looks stunning! Before I received the EMF I didn't think there would be a huge difference between the CCH when comparing to the Uberti, but there is. My EMF has the Express grip with some beautiful checkered wood grips. It is setup with a 4 3/4" barrel.

After ordering those two I realized I wasn't done. Back off to Gunbroker I went. I scored another Uberti El Patron, but in a 4 3/4" barrel this time. After that one I realized I wanted something a bit more original. I started to look at USFA's but since they arn't made anymore prices were pretty close to what I could pay, and at some points exceeded, the price of an actual Colt SAA.

All these revolvers were in .357 Mag and I knew if I was to get a Colt it had to be in .45. It would be my only firearm chambered in it, but it is just too perfect not to get it chambered in that caliber.

Found one on GB for a decent price, new in box and bought it. 4 3/4", blued/case colored, black rubber grips. Now it's a waiting game for the Colt, the Uberti, and some .45 ammo to arrive.

I'm looking forward to running these at the range. If they shoot as well as they look i'll be happy.
Always had a weakness for the Thunderer 'n Lighting mdls

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 06-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Beautiful guns.......

Makes me wish I still had my .45Lc Vaquero, the the pair of Blackhawks I used to own.....

Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #7
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus
I just posted in the revolver thread, but I'll show mine here too.

I, like you, have always had a fascination with these things, but never made the effort to own one. I saw the recent Ruger New Vaquero's that were the TALO Exclusive. They were stainless, 3 3/4" barrel, and offered in .45acp or .45LC. They came with a birds head grip frame and gray laminate stocks. I fell in love with birds head grips at that moment.

I kept my eyes peeled for a while, but not much was available, especially for the spare cash I had. I came across a local fellow selling a few 'old' Vaqueros. He had a stainles and a case colored .357 with the birds head grips. I almost went with the stainless, but it just didn't seem right on a gun like this. The cowboys weren't running around with stainless revolvers!

I picked up the Case colored one. If you didnt know this, Ruger's case coloring was about the worst imitation out there. So bad and so weak (it rusted off nearly instantly if you put the gun in a safe) that ruger was re-blueing the whole guns for free, and stopped making the case color.

Anyway, it looked like crap when i got it. The blueing was PERFECT, but the case coloring was gone and replaced with a nasty brown color. I hit the frame with a terry cloth and some good cleaning products, and just rubbed it down. Took it alot closer to bare metal and it came out great. Looks like the frame is 100 years old. too bad the blueing is perfct haha.

If i had the cash, I'd send it off to turnbull for the REAL thing, but that's putting $350 into a $400 gun.

I've got a super Black Hawk hammer on the way, and I'll be ordering a set of checkered 'ivory' grips for it.

Anyway, enough of the story telling, time for the gun.

Picked up a rig recently too. Really need to get some patina on the leather and the bluing. Time to wear the crap outta the gun and the leather!
Where did u get the shell holder and sling for that shotgun I've been looking for something like that for mine????

Old 06-07-2013, 04:14 AM   #8

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Beautiful guns, guys.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #9

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

There were many handguns used on the "Range". Not every one had a Colt SAA. There were many Merwin & Hulberts S&W SA & DA models. Very few actually carried handguns. Rifles carried in chuck wagons was more the rule.
My Ruger SA .45 Colt dual Cylinder .45 ACP.

img_0335.jpg  
Old 06-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #10

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
There were many handguns used on the "Range". Not every one had a Colt SAA. There were many Merwin & Hulberts S&W SA & DA models. Very few actually carried handguns. Rifles carried in chuck wagons was more the rule.
My Ruger SA .45 Colt dual Cylinder .45 ACP.
Lovin those grips

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET