Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Single Action Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Single Action Revolver

Hello everyone, I'm going to get a single action revolver here pretty soon, and was wondering which ones you all thought were good. I like the way the Ruger Vaquero looks, so that should give you an idea (is the Vaquero a good firearm?). Looking to spend anywhere from 500 to 700... I'd like to have a .45colt or .357mag

Thanks for any advice!!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The Vaquero is a decent single-action, but be aware that the "New" model is not the same as the "Old" model. The old model is essentially a fixed sight Blackhawk while the new model is scaled down closer to the Italian clones in size.
For $700 though, you could own both a .357 Mag and .45 Colt EAA Bounty Hunter. The Bounty Hunter also comes in .44 Mag; something the "new" Vaquero doesn't come in.

Last edited by crossfire; 01-01-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:40 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had Vaqueros and done action tunes to a lot of them and I've never seen a "bad" 1 yet. You can't go wrong with the Vaquero.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

It's been many years since I've owned Ruger single action revolvers. I've owned Blackhawks in 45 Long Colt, they were great because you could use hotter loads than for any other brand of SA. I've owned a few 44 Super Blackhawks and actually for a SA I liked them the best. Just to show you how long it's been since I bought a 45 Blackhawk, I bought it for $125 at a gun show in Denver. The one great thing about Ruger SA's is that all the screws where Ny-loc, I've owned other brands of SA's and very frequently I'd have to tighten screws after 12 or so rounds fired. Ruger screws never came loose.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The Vaquero is a great gun, but I'd go for a Blackhawk just for the adjustable sights. Both .357 and .45LC allow you to play around a lot with different loads, from wimpy target stuff to full power hunting rounds, point of impact will vary so the adjustable sights come in handy.

From an aesthetic point of view, the stainless Vaquero in .45LC is my favourite.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I'd suggest a Blackhawk in .357 or .44 mag. Adjustable sights are great and they are very solid. I would stay away from .45 LC at the moment. Could be different where you live, but I haven't seen a box of .45 LC in at least 8 months.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I've had two Vaquero's and a couple of Blackhawks. Calibers were .30 Carbine, .357, .44 and .45 Colt. They were all solid and dependable. You won't go wrong with any of them.

If you decide to go with a Vaquero, see if you can find an older model. They were essentially Blackhawks with fixed sights. They are more stout than the new Vaquero models. Same thing with the old model Blackhawks.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #8

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Well when I got to the gun shop I was dead set on getting the Vaquero, but then the Blackhawk caught my eye. Finally decided to go with it instead...

Does anyone have any suggestions for some good defense ammo for it? I was looking at Hornady 44 Mag 225 gr FTX LEVERevolution...

ruger-super-blackhawk-.44mag-1.jpg  

Old 01-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #9

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Good for you, you made a great choice. What's nice is that you can practice with .44 Special rounds, really low recoil. The only thing is elevation will be different between the 44 mag and 44 spcl. Mag rounds will raise the barrel and twist the gun due to torque. I really couldn't give you a recommendation for self defense because I handload mostly cast Elmer Keith hard cast lead 245 gr. SWC. That round would not be a good defense load in populated areas due to the fact that if you hit a BG it would go threw them and way beyond. I use that load for hunting and head, neck or spine shots instantly knock the deer down. I have had a Redhawk for around 25 years and it does shoot very differently than the Blackhawks I've owned due to a whole lot more weight and barrel plane.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #10

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Great choice, you will love this gun.

Keep it clean and it will last you a lifetime.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello