Single Action for defense? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Single Action for defense?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 09:15 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1896 Times on 1114 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Heh, glock is double action semi auto.
That is what you believe if you have been 'indoctrinated' by their marketing, but the fact is they are single action. Pull the trigger twice on an empty chamber and tell me they are double action, I think not!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #62

Liked 1117 Times on 584 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I've seen some people that I don't believe could win a gunfight with a crew-served weapon -- I've seen others that I wouldn't want to go up against if all they had was a sharp stick, I believe it's the person that makes a gun dangerous, not the other way around. In my opinion, the "edge" is the shooter's personality, experience, and training. A good workman doesn't blame his tools.

Old 02-18-2013, 11:13 PM   #63

Liked 2411 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Just heard this, can't confirm it: 90% of people with a single gunshot wound survive, whereas; 80% of people with multiple gunshot wounds die of their injuries. Seems to backup carrying something that can quickly deliver a second accurate shot.

Could be they just weren't hit in the right place. Just maybe they weren't shot in the right place because of those horrible little plastic guns and their terrible triggers. There is always more than one scenario when it comes to self defense. In all the years I've been shooting I've never had a SA revolver fail to fire or jam. Can you honestly say that about semi auto's?

Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #64

Liked 485 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Some people bring a knife to a gunfight and win, but most don't. End of story.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:28 AM   #65

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11
Some people bring a knife to a gunfight and win, but most don't. End of story.
That is not even part of this story let alone the end -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 442

I have to say that I really don't understand people carrying a gun and preparing for the "best case scenario". If you have to carry a gun for personal protection, and unfortunately in our world you do, then if you have to use it you've pretty much found yourself in the middle of the "worst case scenario". Since law enforcement kinda frowns on us toting our AR's around with us, a handgun is about as good as it gets.

If a 150 pound deer can run several hundred yards after receiving a fatal wound from a .30-06 or .308 rifle cartridge from a Remington 700 that develops twice as much energy as a typical .44 Magnum cartridge, and your typical nasty felon is a 200 pound bruiser, why on earth would you assume your favorite sixgun is gonna stop him with a single shot?

Going back to Miami-Dade, Matix was shot in the face with a .357 Magnum and that failed to stop him from firing back at the FBI agent who was shooting at him. Does that tell you anything? There's no guarantee that you won't have to fire every round of ammunition you have on you just to stop one armed and determined man. These guys weren't on drugs and they weren't looking for a fight when they were stopped.

The point is, preparing for the best case scenario is setting yourself up for failure. There's a difference between someone making a tradeoff between competing priorities (concealability versus usability) and someone who is willfully putting him or her self at a disadvantage for no logical reason. Carrying a SA hunting revolver as a primary sidearm for personal protection when perfectly good SA or DA automatic pistols are readily available that hold two to three times as many cartridges falls squarely into the category of willful ignorance of the threat posed by street criminals.

Would you try to pound nails with a shovel when a perfectly good framing hammer is available? If not, then why try to defend yourself against multiple criminals armed with modern technology pistols using a revolver design that's more than a century removed from modern pistol technology? Nostalgia? I really like revolvers, but I'm not gonna get myself killed trying to prove that I can best armed men who have better technology when that same technology is also available to me.

Whereupon someone comes up with an affordable and portable laser pistol I'll be all over it.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #67

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
There are sure a lot of folks caring single action PPD's out there right now. All the glocks, High-Powers, and 1911s, and most other striker fired are single actions!!
Just say'n!
A Glock is more like the dead zone between single action and double action. The striker is about half way cocked with the rack of the slide then the trigger brings it the other half. Other striker fired pistols are double action.

Yes a 1911 is a single action.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2734 Times on 1588 Posts
Likes Given: 1554

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
i have to say that i really don't understand people carrying a gun and preparing for the "best case scenario". If you have to carry a gun for personal protection, and unfortunately in our world you do, then if you have to use it you've pretty much found yourself in the middle of the "worst case scenario". Since law enforcement kinda frowns on us toting our ar's around with us, a handgun is about as good as it gets.

If a 150 pound deer can run several hundred yards after receiving a fatal wound from a .30-06 or .308 rifle cartridge from a remington 700 that develops twice as much energy as a typical .44 magnum cartridge, and your typical nasty felon is a 200 pound bruiser, why on earth would you assume your favorite sixgun is gonna stop him with a single shot?

Going back to miami-dade, matix was shot in the face with a .357 magnum and that failed to stop him from firing back at the fbi agent who was shooting at him. Does that tell you anything? There's no guarantee that you won't have to fire every round of ammunition you have on you just to stop one armed and determined man. These guys weren't on drugs and they weren't looking for a fight when they were stopped.

The point is, preparing for the best case scenario is setting yourself up for failure. There's a difference between someone making a tradeoff between competing priorities (concealability versus usability) and someone who is willfully putting him or her self at a disadvantage for no logical reason. Carrying a sa hunting revolver as a primary sidearm for personal protection when perfectly good sa or da automatic pistols are readily available that hold two to three times as many cartridges falls squarely into the category of willful ignorance of the threat posed by street criminals.

Would you try to pound nails with a shovel when a perfectly good framing hammer is available? If not, then why try to defend yourself against multiple criminals armed with modern technology pistols using a revolver design that's more than a century removed from modern pistol technology? Nostalgia? I really like revolvers, but i'm not gonna get myself killed trying to prove that i can best armed men who have better technology when that same technology is also available to me.

Whereupon someone comes up with an affordable and portable laser pistol i'll be all over it.
SPOT ON!!! Imho!

Last edited by eatmydust; 02-19-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:06 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1269 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

This discussion shows that different folks use different strokes. Some are greatly concerned about having all the angles covered, have the max firepower they can acquire, the perfect action type, etc. Some carry what they have, and don't have big bucks to spend on maximizing their arsenals. Some have guns passed down thru their ancestors. That's what makes this forum worth participating in. The forum is great for an exchange of ideas and opinions if kept civil. But when it deteriorates to angry name-calling and insults, it has lost its value. Someone who needs to learn something, which includes most if not all of us, should not be intimidated to the extent of withdrawing from the discussion, and miss out on info that may someday save his/her life.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #70
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Just heard this, can't confirm it: 90% of people with a single gunshot wound survive, whereas; 80% of people with multiple gunshot wounds die of their injuries. Seems to backup carrying something that can quickly deliver a second accurate shot.
The purpose of self defense is not to kill the goblin its to make him stop raping you.

Most self defense actions by a law abiding citizen only involve presentation of deadly force, next common is a shot or two being fired with no hits chasing the aggressor off, next down the list is the goblin being wounded and arrested, least common is the goblin actually dying.

If a person spends all their time learning to use one gun even if it is a single shot blackpowder pistol and can drill the xring at 30 paces everytime, wouldnt that be better than making them use a glock with 33 rounds and a sackful of extramags that they couldnt hit the side of a barn from the inside??

First rule of self defense: have a gun

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-19-2013 at 12:20 PM.
AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Closed Thread