Single Action for defense? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Single Action for defense?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I think that even if I were carrying a double-stacked semiauto with 15+1 capacity, if I find myself confronted by 4 or 5 armed thugs I won't be able to take good aim and squeeze the trigger fast enough to stop all of them before one of them gets me. When in an urban environment, I usually carry a semiauto, but I would be flabbergasted if I'd be able to shut down 4 or more armed perps and come out unscathed...
I do carry a Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk or two when in the boonies, but am careful to be aware of my surroundings and avoid contact with 2-legged predators. I may be better off with two SA revolvers than with one hi-cap semiauto, or even 2.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #52

Liked 1143 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

How much ammo do you people need? If I weren't carrying a "six-shooter", then I'd be carrying an "eight-shooter" -- that is, a 1911. I've always said that if whatever I'm firing at can't be put down with seven rounds of .45, then I have no business shooting at it. I also think the odds of my suddenly being attacked by four or five armed opponents are pretty far fetched. I'm just not that important.

Now, I have no problem with anyone who carries a Glock or whatever with a high capicity mag, lazer sights, attached flashlight, etc.. But don't be so quick to dismiss the person who has a different preference. Remember, it only takes one bullet to kill you.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #53

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
How much ammo do you people need? If I weren't carrying a "six-shooter", then I'd be carrying an "eight-shooter" -- that is, a 1911. I've always said that if whatever I'm firing at can't be put down with seven rounds of .45, then I have no business shooting at it. I also think the odds of my suddenly being attacked by four or five armed opponents are pretty far fetched. I'm just not that important.

Now, I have no problem with anyone who carries a Glock or whatever with a high capicity mag, lazer sights, attached flashlight, etc.. But don't be so quick to dismiss the person who has a different preference. Remember, it only takes one bullet to kill you.
The ODDS of you being attacked at all are far fetched so why bother to carry at all
Jus sayin---

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-18-2013, 04:33 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
The ODDS of you being attacked at all are far fetched so why bother to carry at all
Jus sayin---
Damn. You're right. You have restored my faith in the basic kindness of the human race. I'll sleep better tonight, thanks.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #55

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Damn. You're right. You have restored my faith in the basic kindness of the human race. I'll sleep better tonight, thanks.
Member to keep one eye open just in case

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #56

The basic tenet of my posts is not that there is anything wrong with choosing a modern, high capacity handgun for self-defense. It is not about which weapon is the best for self defense (although my answer to that one would be that it varies from individual to individual). It is answering the original subject of this thread: is a single action revolver adequate for self defense. For the reasons contained in my posts here, I believe it is.

Back during my bullseye shooting days, I used a Smith and Wesson K-38 for the centerfire portion of the match (my other guns were a Smith Model 41 .22 and a Colt National Match .45). While the K-38 was a double action revolver, I shot it single action. The rapid fire stage is five shots in ten seconds, and accuracy (matches are won in the X ring) counts. I also started shooting single actions 50 years ago, when I got a Ruger Single Six Convertible for Christmas when I was eight. It went with the Ruger Mk I that I got when I was six. My father would be considered very politically incorrect these days.

I believe that any quality handgun of reasonalble caliber is suitable for self defense purposes. Sure, no one gun is going to be the best in every situation, but that's where training comes in -- to make the best of an imperfect situation.

Do I carry a single action revolver? No. For a variety of reasons, I prefer the 1911. But if what I had with me was a single action revolver, I would not feel undergunned. Hey -- it's guns -- it's all good by me.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1019

There are sure a lot of folks caring single action PPD's out there right now. All the glocks, High-Powers, and 1911s, and most other striker fired are single actions!!
Just say'n!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Vikingdad Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #58
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6010 Times on 3148 Posts
Likes Given: 431

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
There are sure a lot of folks caring single action PPD's out there right now. All the glocks, High-Powers, and 1911s, and most other striker fired are single actions!!
Just say'n!
Heh, glock is double action semi auto.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 PM   #59

Liked 519 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 236

Why would anyone in their right mind want to carry anything that may be just adequate? Having the edge wins the fight. From where I'm sitting it doesn't matter what anyone chooses to carry to me. The original question I believe was whether, or not a SA revolver was adequate for self defense. I've been handling them for over 40 years and consider myself proficient in their use, but as much as I love them and I do, they would be the last type of weapon I'd want to depend on if up against someone with a HC auto.

If I were a Tom Threepersons, or a Bill Munden then maybe my attitude towards carrying a SA might change, but I honestly believe that even they would feel better about having an exc DA auto for SD. There is a definite advantage to having a revolver, any type of revolver, as opposed to an automatic and that is the auto pistol is less dependable. But that isn't enough of an advantage to choose a SA revolver over a SA, or DA auto.

Wes Hardin, who's shooting abilities are well chronicled chose DA revolvers like the S&W 44-40 DA Frontier and the 1877 Colt Lightning 38 as a backup in his pocket. He killed plenty of men with SA's, but was smart enough to change to the DA in later years to keep his edge. I'm sure today he'd carry a Glock with the 33rd mag. He was killed by Sheriff John Selman in an El Paso saloon, who used a SAA Colt. He was only able to do it by sneaking up on Hardin and shooting him through the back of his head. He obviously knew his limitations.

Just think about it for a moment. Even Wild Bill carried two guns and they were mild calibers at that. He preferred the .36 '51 Navy Colt, as opposed to the .44 '60 Army. He was also a well documented great shot, who felt he had a better chance of hitting his target with the milder caliber. Those who want to carry 44mags in their Rugers are only fooling themselves.

With all the information available out there regarding this subject, I'm amazed at the stubborn attitudes of some people, who prevent logic from interfering with their opinions. Everyone's opinions have to be respected whether right, or wrong. But I'd hate to see anyone get hurt because they're misguided. I mentioned this a couple of times before, but I think it's fitting here. Will Rogers was a very logical man and in all his wisdom came out with some great sayings, which this is one of my favorites:
There are three kinds of men.
The one that learns by reading.
The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:14 PM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3174 Times on 1830 Posts
Likes Given: 2036

Just heard this, can't confirm it: 90% of people with a single gunshot wound survive, whereas; 80% of people with multiple gunshot wounds die of their injuries. Seems to backup carrying something that can quickly deliver a second accurate shot.

Last edited by eatmydust; 02-18-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Closed Thread