Single Action for defense? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Single Action for defense?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This is still the revolver forum, correct?
DA for self-defense, because SA makes no sense, IN THAT SITUATION.
SA is fine for hunting, and some competition.
If someone or something is LITERALLY on top of you, DA is the only logical option.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #42

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

There sure does seem to be a lot of certainity among some of the posts here. Me, if I knew a guy was carrying a Ruger Blackhawk I'd pay him the same sort of caution I would if he were carrying a Glock.

When I was younger I used to pay a whole lot more attention to having the "right" kind of gun, loaded with the "right" kind of ammo. Nowdays I figure I can get by with pretty much whatever's handy. It's not the gun that's dangerous, but the person using it. And what works best for one person might not be the right choice for someone else.

Old 02-18-2013, 02:44 AM   #43

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by regload View Post
If someone or something is LITERALLY on top of you, DA is the only logical option.
Why? I carry Ruger Blackhawk .44 Special. Never felt undergunned in any way. Fact, with those 240 gr. JHPs, felt even more secure. I carried a S&W Model 19 for many years, went to the .44 on a trial basis, never went back. Up-close-and-in-your-face it is faster and more potent.

Bob Wright

Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 AM   #44

Liked 2512 Times on 1128 Posts
Likes Given: 2411

I'd rather carry a SA revolver than a anything DA, semi auto or revovler. The only reason you need fast reloads and high capacity is because you can't hit sh!t with a DA. They have the crappiest triggers. I'll take a slow hit over a fast miss any day of the week.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #45

Liked 11 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I personally think you can use a revolver fine for defense if you learn to constantly pull the hammer. The hammer on my blackhawk comes back rather easily and if necessary could fire pretty quickly. The thing is with me is I love my revolver loaded because it is instant access and it would be a freak accident if it were to discharge. I leave my semi-auto's without magazines, so I can have my revolver ready to go while I grab my semi-auto and pop a magazine in. I also got mine in .45 because not only have I wanted one forever, but also offers lots of stopping power in a single shot.

That's just my .02 cents though, I wouldn't make it a primary home defense if you can help it, but will still get the job done.

Guns owned: Phoenix Arms HP22A, Ruger P95, Hi Point 4095ts, Winchester SXP field, Ruger Blackhawk 45LC, Bushmaster Carbon 15, NAA Mini 22lr, Tisas Zig M 1911

Old 02-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #46
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8272 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10695

Just throwing this out there, but how often in a civilian self defense situation is fast the deciding factor in who "wins" a gunfight? I am sure it is a factor, but how much of one?

Wyatt Earp was said to have said "Fast is fine,but accuracy is everything."

If you are using a SA revolver you are going to make your first shot count. A guy with a 15-round mag in his Glock may not take his time placing his shots as much. You never hear "Spray and pray" in regards to a SA revolver.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 AM   #47

Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Just throwing this out there, but how often in a civilian self defense situation is fast the deciding factor in who "wins" a gunfight? I am sure it is a factor, but how much of one?

Wyatt Earp was said to have said "Fast is fine,but accuracy is everything."

If you are using a SA revolver you are going to make your first shot count. A guy with a 15-round mag in his Glock may not take his time placing his shots as much. You never hear "Spray and pray" in regards to a SA revolver.
First of all, everyone wants to make their 1st shot count, but most with adrenaline pumping in a bad situation won't and that's confirmed through LE statistics. I'm sure thousands have said pretty much the same Wyatt Earp statement, because unless you can hit what you're shooting at you're probably toast, but millions of dollars have been spent on designing holsters that will allow an ease of draw that can be done as safely as possible. That goes both for LE and civilians alike.

Back in Earp's days most 1st shots were aimed at people's backs when they weren't looking and the one doing the shooting was behind cover. Also, if given a choice Earp would've been more than happy to carry a 15 double action shooter as opposed to any SA 6 shooter,which would include the extremely strong and legendary Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. that many people actually love. I consider them among the finest HUNTING handguns in the world.

If there was an advantage to carrying a SA, as opposed to DA auto, or SA auto for either assault purposes, or defense purposes, I sure as heck don't know and no one's convinced on this thread yet, but I'm still open to having my mind changed. There really isn't a valid argument that I can think of and when you consider that LE and military alike do not carry SA revolvers the answer is very obvious and it's that they aren't practical, but if it's all you got at the time, then I guess you gotta use, cause I would.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 02-18-2013 at 06:18 AM.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 190 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyT View Post
Is a single action revolver a bad idea for defense purposes? I have wanted one for a while but I have never shot one, I just love the way they look and the history behind them. I have no idea how the firing speeds compare to a double action when youre trying to get them off quickly. I have a lot of interest in the Ruger Blackhawk and Vaquero. In the .357 models they can also shoot 38 specials, correct? I wonder how the shotshells work in those loads for snakes and little critters. I realize the GP100 and SP101 are double action and better suited for defense purposes. I mainly use my handguns for hunting sidearms and HD and very few range outings now that ammo is on shortage. I guess my question is what are your opinions on using a single action revolver for HD/SD? Does anybody or would anybody choose it over some other types of handguns as a HD or hunting sidearm gun? and why?
Why not, beats the crap out of throwing rocks, and they are politician friendly, so far. They don't shoot that Devil bullet .223, they are for sure not semi-auto, and I challenge you to shove a high capacity magazine in to these, Colt's less maligned creation. The president doesn't want your gun

GOA,NRA
Old Bolt Actions,
One round at a time.

"This is my Mosin,
There are many like it,
And three or so are mine."

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #49
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1096 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 455

If the single action revolver in question had 8 rounds of .357 Magnum ammunition, a 4+ inch barrel to make use of all that powder sitting behind the bullet, and a rail to mount a SureFire on, then it would obviously be better than throwing rocks. I seem to recall the military replacing the flintlock pistols with percussion pistols, the percussion pistols with SAA revolvers, the SAA revolvers with DA revolvers, the DA revolvers with SA automatics, and finally the SA automatics with DA automatics. Notice a pattern there?

It's a pretty safe bet that whatever game you'd hunt with your revolver, no matter how dangerous, won't shoot back at you. Humans don't take too kindly to being shot at. Any misses with your six shooter rapidly stacks that deck against your survival if your opponent is actually intent on killing you.

There was a police officer on this forum who already said it, but people have been killed because they didn't have a sufficient number of available rounds to end a gunfight. The entire FBI radically changed it's issue sidearm and ammunition because a number of their agents were killed or maimed by just two men who had superior firepower with respect to the FBI agents attempting to arrest them. The criminals were outmanned but the FBI agents were outgunned. Even after being mortally wounded, the pair continued to resist and killed at least one agent after receiving the wounds that ultimately killed them.

The FBI learned pretty quickly that the firearms technology they were using was not suitable for going head to head with the firepower that criminals were carrying with them in the 1980's. Is it likely that you'll run into two or more heavily armed and well-trained criminals? Probably not, but do you want to bet your life on that? SA revolvers may work just fine for hunting but capacity and reload speed are real issues.

Bob Munden may be able to kill someone faster than the blink of an eye, but whoever that sixth (or seventh) person is that's shooting at him is gonna take him down because that's all the ammunition he has available. If he can reload a SAA as fast as Jerry Miculek reloads a DA, perhaps he's on to something. Are you a BJ Munculek? If so, the SAA may be just the ticket for you.

In the real world I carry a Glock 17. As much as I love my Colt SA and DA revolvers, they're simply not modern handgun technology. A SureFire X300 would look kinda funny on the SAA.

There is such a thing as a dangerous thought experiment.

Q. Can I kill a man with an AK-47 if all I have is a flintlock?

A. Yes, but only if you see him first, you're a truly superb marksman who brought his "A" game that particular day, and he doesn't have any friends with AK-47's.

Some people read that question and start trying to justify how they could take out someone who has an AK-47 with their favorite hunting flintlock. I read questions like that and wonder about the intelligence of the people asking such questions. Just because you can doesn't mean you should (or reinforce the fictitious belief that other people can just because you can).

Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #50

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Handgun combat

Much has been said of the "gunfight situation" in this thread. Anyone who goes into a gunfight situation, or combat situation, will surely have the question of legitimate self defense raised by a court. Common sense will tell a person, no matter the status of "stand your ground" laws, to avoid or even back away, from such a situation.

The question here is one of self defense, such as an attempted robbery, assault, or carjacking. From somewhat limited contact with at least two who were involved in such incidents, the assailants were only one or two in number, to draw less suspicion, and maintained their "cool" until they were very close to their intended victim. And when the victim opened fire, the surviving thug ran.

Much has been said about the Army arming soldiers with an auto pistol, but note the holster issued with said auto (M1911) was a full flap pouch dangling from a web pistol belt, with very little thought of getting it into action quickly. And considering the amount of training on use of that pistol..........

I'll keep carrying my Ruger Blackhawk.

Bob Wright

Closed Thread