Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Single Action for defense?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

It matters not what you carry. I prefer a 1911 my self. That said to state anyone with a SAA going into a shoot out will die. What a load of comic book satire. Can you post anything that proves such a point? What shoot out can you point to where a civilians choice of arms turned the tide?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #32

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker
I clearly stated there is a civilian application and a police application.
This is true but I might argue that a civilian has even more need for a fast firing, high capacity handgun than a policeman. Chances are a policeman often has an armed partner to support him in a firefight. He often has ready access to a combat shotgun or semi-automatic rifle. These days he's probably wearing body armor. He probably had armed backup on the way before he got out of his car.

A civilian on the other hand is more likely to be alone. He is more likely to have unarmed innocents (wife, children) to protect. He is probably more likely to be attacked by surprise.

I've got a couple of SA revolvers myself. They are great fun at the range or even for hunting. Cowboy action shooting is a great sport. However, I would never chose to use one as a defensive weapon if I had another option.

It sounds like you really want validation of your choice to use a SA revolver as a CCW but I don't think you are going to get much support for your choice. Most responders seem to be trying to point out that there are a number of disadvantages to the SA revolver for SD (slower shots, limited rounds, impossibly slow reloads). If you have considered these facts and chose to use an SA revolver anyway, that is certainly your right but I don't think it's the best choice you could make.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #33

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have no problem with a SA revo for defense. It worked for years. But I have no use for those shot shells. You have to be really close to see any results. I'd just use a regular bullet, or step on em...heh

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #34
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7669 Times on 4426 Posts
Likes Given: 9893

My sons are amazingly fast on the draw and can fire an SA as fast as any DA revolver. I actually get a kick out of going into gun stores and asking to look at a sweet SA revolver,handing it to my son and telling him to try it out. He holds it in a holster position and then slicker than snot pulls it out ready to rock. I don't watch him though, I watch the guy behind the counter. I've seen some really funny looks when they realize this 15 year old boy just pulled a fast draw as good as they have probably seen for quite awhile outside of competition.

But the boys will probably opt for a 1911 for CC when they get to that point.

You don't get any points for cool factor when the bad guys need to be shot.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #35

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Wow...While I don't quite agree that a SA revo is a death sentence I would not go so far as to call a guy out on his opinion in this case especially. I can't see any reason for gunsmoke11 to lie about such a thing. There's just nothing to gain. Disagree fine but I can't see any good coming form trolling him.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Since the SA/DA question seems to be covered, let me address the shotshell question. Yes, they will work against snakes. You must be fairly close, but not within striking distance, and the longer the barrel, the better. I have killed several with a 4" Smith using shotshells, but scored very few actual hits. I was lucky enough to have time to aim, and most of the hits were in the head. One of them was the Golden BB type shot. Only on pellet hit the snake, but it went into the brain and he dropped right there. I now carry a 6" Smith when I go into the woods.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #37

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

I'm a newbie to this forum, and don't want to step on any toes, but . . . I've got about 50 years of shooting experience (got my first gun when I was six), have gone to combat schools, shot bullseye competition, and have owned and shot many, many handguns of various makes and models.

Although the 1911 is my first choice for a self defense handgun, I would not feel at all disadvanaged carrying a good single action revolver. Ruger makes their Sheriff's Model, which would not be that difficult for an everyday carry.

It is the person and their training and experience that is the most important factor in self defense. The "baddest" handgun on the market will not replace practice. So if you want to carry a single action, and work with is as much as you should with any handgun carried for self defense, then go for it.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Can you post anything that proves such a point? What shoot out can you point to where a civilians choice of arms turned the tide?
How about an entire federal agency's choice of firearm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FBI_Miami_shootout

I don't know what your skill level is, and you may very well be able to pull it off with a SA, but your advice could be very harmful to someone new to shooting or new to the platform.

As for the "It matters not what you carry." I have never read a more ridiculous statement. Ergonomics, reliability, caliber, capacity, and action are critical points to consider in a self-defense weapon, and they should be considered in exactly the order I posted..

Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #39

Liked 343 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 4

On one hand, if you believe the statistic that 1-3 shots are fired in typical SD situations, an SA will be sufficient. That, and the old saying about the gun you have is better than the one locked up at home applies as well. On the other hand, limited ammo capacity can be a factor, especially with an old style gun like my Colt Single Action Army, no transfer/safety bar means loading only 5. As others have mentioned, in the event you have to reload, you could wind up in a bad corner. Unlike the movies and TV, one shot won't always stop Mr. Bad Guy in his tracks. A single action requires a second shot time frame that you may not have in a stress situation. If a single action is what you want, go for it. For SD/EDC, there are better choices IMHO.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1125 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

What gun to carry depends to some dergree upon the environment you will be in when you carry it. If you'll be in a crowded store a semi-auto with a relatively short OAL would help avoid having a perp grab your piece and try to wrestle it away. But out in the boonies, hiking or camping, a bigger gun is needed. For my personal use, in a congested environment my choice is a Para Ordnance Warthog, a .45 ACP with a 3" barrel, OAL of 6.5". But when hiking or camping I carry a Ruger .41 magnum Blackhawk (single action revolver) with 6.5" barrel, or a Ruger .45 Colt Vaquero with 5.5" barrel. To cover one reload, I carry an extra loaded cylinder CAREFULLY in a jacket pocket that I can swap in a few seconds. I emphasize CAREFULLY, because of the need to avoid spilling the cartridges out of the extra cylinder while jacking with it.

Closed Thread