Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Single Action for defense?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Single Action for defense?

Is a single action revolver a bad idea for defense purposes? I have wanted one for a while but I have never shot one, I just love the way they look and the history behind them. I have no idea how the firing speeds compare to a double action when youre trying to get them off quickly. I have a lot of interest in the Ruger Blackhawk and Vaquero. In the .357 models they can also shoot 38 specials, correct? I wonder how the shotshells work in those loads for snakes and little critters. I realize the GP100 and SP101 are double action and better suited for defense purposes. I mainly use my handguns for hunting sidearms and HD and very few range outings now that ammo is on shortage. I guess my question is what are your opinions on using a single action revolver for HD/SD? Does anybody or would anybody choose it over some other types of handguns as a HD or hunting sidearm gun? and why?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #2

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Yes ... any .357 will shoot .38 Special.
Single action for defense? It was done by necessity by everyone up until the first double actions were invented. That's all there was. Sure, it could be done.
You'd have to teach yourself to always cock the hammer - as a natural reflex in using the gun. And you could do that. After cocking, the triggers are usually quite a bit lighter A(more sensitive) that double action - so you would have to be more careful with the trigger once cocked to avoid accidental discharges. All things you could learn - or recognize.

Would a double action be better? Probably - actually, not much doubt that they would be better. It will always fire when the trigger is pulled. But just because it would be better, doesn't mean a single action could not be workable. You've got to know what you've got and become very familiar with it.
If you have a double action, you could use that to practice with - to see how you feel about the constant cocking. Or, if you don't have a double action revolver with an exposed hammer, you could get one - use it in single action mode - and maybe even forget about the single action gun.

Figure out what it is about single action that you like. Double action does the same thing - except it loads easier - and it can go double action in a panic situation.
It is the grips you like on many single actions that draws you to them? Figure out what it is.
Heck, it you can spring for it - buy one of each. Many, many people on this forum have multiple guns.

Double actions tend to be large, so concealed carry would be more difficult. And the slow loading is an issue. Also, spent casing extraction of a single action is more cumbersome and slow - using the push rod. Double action swing-out cylinders are kind of convenient - and they load and unload much faster. There are some very heavy calibers available in single action, too, but so are they in double action - but you mentioned liking .357.

But try not to let people tell you it can't be done. It was done for a century. It's kind of what you want to do. And, myself, I can see the draw of the old single action. I own one myself...

Keep us posted. We're interested.

Last edited by Colby; 02-12-2013 at 06:28 AM.
People Like This 
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 892 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 685

My advice for HD or as a back-up for hunting wouldn't be a single-action...unless you're really good with it. I've seen some Western-style shooters with pretty amazing speed and accuracy with single, but they didn't get that way overnight. My only reason for suggesting double is that in a crisis situation you don't want to waste time or risk fumbling with the hammer...and because of the adrenal rush and other unpredictable factors, you may need multiple rounds quickly to stop the momentum of your attacker.

War to the knife; the knife to the hilt

Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

They were used for nearly 200 years for self defense and war. Some designs can be fired faster than a semi auto with proper dedication to training.

The main difference between da and sa revolvers is hammer design. The hammers of da revolvers do not lend well to shooting rapidly in sa mode.

Sa revolvers do not typically lend themselves well to concealed carry since they are pretty big. I wouldnt feel unarmed with one as they do fill the number one rule of self defense:

Have a gun.

That being said there is a real sound reason most folks dont use sa revolvers for self defense.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 02-12-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 864 Times on 574 Posts
Likes Given: 216

A brick or a stick are not bad items for defence and are better than nothing. A good firearm is much better. Nothing wrong with a single action.

I had an older Ruger .357 that had four loud clicks when you cocked the trigger back and that sound was like a thousand rattle snakes shaking their tails.

The newer Ruger revolvers or ones sent in to have an internal trigger block safety added no longer have the four loud clicks, and I don't like them as well because of that.

Last edited by AR10; 02-12-2013 at 12:30 PM.
CA357 Likes This 
Old 02-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #6

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I believe front sight has a defensive single action revolver clinic. Good enough to convince me that it's still a viable option.

If it's not front sight, then it's one of the other big name defensive handgun training facilities.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2166 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

A single action sidearm wouldn't be my first choice for HD. However, if I already owned one, I'd spend the money to buy an HD/multi-use shotgun before purchasing another pistol.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #8

Liked 220 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 20

'Twas never any doubt!

Bob Wright

Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #9

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

I have a Vaquero in 45colt I have thought about carrying. I feel I could defend myself with it. But there are simply too many options in my gun safe. A good problem to have.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #10

Liked 203 Times on 132 Posts

You should spend many hours getting familiar with, firing, drawing and handling any firearm you intend to use for defense.
A S/A revolver will take much more practice to be nearly as efficient as a D/A or semi auto but many people have conditioned themselves to be very fast and accurate with them. Then you have the reloading issue which think would be a bit stressful if in a gunfight.
I have a S/A S. Blackhawk and love it. But it would not be the first second or third gun I go for in a combat situation.

Closed Thread