Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Single Action Army / US Artillery Colt 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Single Action Army / US Artillery Colt 45

Years back my brother came home with a Single Action Army / US Artillery Colt 45 that he bought when on a trip out west. He bought it inoperable from a national park store where The Battle of Little Big Horn was fought. It came with (1) a filed down firing pin on the hammer and (2) a cemented plug where the barrel meets the cylinder.

Is there anyway to make the gun operable without losing too many of the original parts. I would like to keep the same barrel and hammer if possible.

Could I remove the the barrel and drill the cement out?

Whatever insights you guys have is greatly appreciated.

Here is a link to the same model gun:
Antique Guns and Firearms including Antique Hand Guns - Antique Guns for Sale

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm not certain, but it may be illegal to make it into a working firearm. We do not condone any form of illegal activity here.

Someone with more knowledge will probably be along shortly to answer your question.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's illegal to do, and also very unsafe to do.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-15-2011, 03:49 PM   #4

I should add, we both have valid firearms licenses. I'll have to look into the laws of altering firearms... Thanks for the response.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

From what my understanding is you can legally do it if you have a manufacturer's liscense or something like that, but even if you did it's unsafe because a lot of replicas use metals that can't withstand the preassures of a fired cartridge.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #6

Sorry for the confusion, it is not a replica, but an actual gun recovered from the battle field, then sold with the alterations making it unable to fire. So barrel should be good to go if the plug was removed without damage.

I'll look into people with a manufacturing license too, thanks.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #7

Liked 707 Times on 455 Posts
Likes Given: 227

No legal reason you can't make it a gun again for yourself. Using the same hammer is possible by building it up with weld. The plug is metal? welded? best way might be to remove the barrel for better access to the plug. Drilling from the muzzle could cause damage to barrel. Where are your close-up detailed pictures. we all want to see it.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #8

That's what I like to hear hiwall. Unfortunately I dont have the gun in my possession right now, and with the bar exam coming up in under 2 weeks, then heart surgery Aug 1, I don't see a picture coming anytime with in the next few weeks. I was hoping this could be a recovery activity while I'm inactive a few days after the surgery.

Pictures will be coming, hopefully soon, but to answer your question in the meantime regarding the plug, I think it is welded now that you mention it. I never took the barrel off to get a clean look at it.

Anyway, glad you all gave me somewhere to start, and I'll get back here when I have more.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

No offense, but why not buy an inexpensive replica to shoot & put this one on the wall to be admired?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #10

why not do both? I know some people wont fire antiques, and I wouldnt fire it much either. I'd just like to return it to its original condition and be able to fire it safely if I wanted to.