Single Action - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Single Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I'm a little confused by your assessment...my dad competes in cowboy action shooting, and I'm curious as to why you feel they don't require a "sturdier" gun? Between practice and competition, all of which is rapid fire, the SAA's see FAR MORE action than anything else in his safe. That includes hunting, defense, AND range action.

OP...the Uberti's are widely used. I have two cattlemen "birds heads" on order to use for CA, I'll post a report after I get them (they are backordered for three mos now). They are well liked among the cowboy crowd, who without question are the premier shooters of SAA guns today.
My take on it is that if the OP just wants to use the gun for fun he can buy an inexpensive gun, wear it out, then buy another. But if he plans on using it for serious hunting or SD while in the boondocks he needs to have one that is accurate, strong, durable, and reliable.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

AIKI, actually the Hombre will handle factory rounds great. The Colt SAA, while strong, is not meant to be poaded +P+. Nor the clones. The Hombre should be able to put 5 rounds in three inches at 25 yards. Reliable was the question until about 2000. The Uberti strted to have decent quality control and the metal was improved.
I use Ruger 3 screws for cowboy/SASS. You would think they are broke whenyou cycled them.
Life is too short to drink cheap booze and argue with stupid people. SASS #29170L
McLeansville, NC by way of WV

Old 02-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #13

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU

My take on it is that if the OP just wants to use the gun for fun he can buy an inexpensive gun, wear it out, then buy another. But if he plans on using it for serious hunting or SD while in the boondocks he needs to have one that is accurate, strong, durable, and reliable.
I was referring to your comment that anything would be fine for CAS...other activities require something "sturdier". They may well use "down loaded" rounds for competition, but the .45 Colt is a stout round when loaded normally, and that's the round many of the SAA's are actually built for. and like I said, the round counts are extreme in these guns.

My question was as to why you would feel a gun suited for CAS wouldn't be appropriate for range/SD work as well? Or, as you stated, "accurate, strong, reliable"?

Old 02-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #14

Liked 2144 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1390

I do not own any Uberti guns. I have nothing against them. Just no experience. I do have lots of experience with the caliber choices though. You say it is for fun. The .357 will shoot 38 special or 357 mag. The 45 colt will shoot only 45 Colt. For self defense, I would put a 357 mag with hollow points up against a 45 Colt any day. Do you reload? If not, you will get sticker shock when you go to buy 45 Colt ammo. I reload so it doesn't matter. If I didn't reload, I would not have bought my New Vaquero in 45 Colt.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:45 PM   #15

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
I do not own any Uberti guns. I have nothing against them. Just no experience. I do have lots of experience with the caliber choices though. You say it is for fun. The .357 will shoot 38 special or 357 mag. The 45 colt will shoot only 45 Colt. For self defense, I would put a 357 mag with hollow points up against a 45 Colt any day. Do you reload? If not, you will get sticker shock when you go to buy 45 Colt ammo. I reload so it doesn't matter. If I didn't reload, I would not have bought my New Vaquero in 45 Colt.
I'd agree w/this. Pretty fair assessment, Rick.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1732 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 3667

Nice SAA. Get it, you will have fun.

Old 02-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #17

Liked 212 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I am a purist-I wouldn't buy a 1911 in 9mm or .38 super and I for sure wouldn't buy a single action cowboy gun in .357.It's coolness effect is that it's a .45LC!
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 02-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
mcb

Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I own several single action revolvers my personal favorite is an old model three screw Ruger Blackhawk .357 with a 4 5/8 barrel. It is unconverted, giving it a much nicer trigger pull than the transfer bar ignition type new models.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #19

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

I have a few Ruger NMBHs in .357 and .45 Colt. I like both, but I like the .45 with the .45 ACP cylinder in place. I also perfer the adjustable sights of the NMBH to the fixed sights of the Vaquero and Colt SSA clones.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #20

Liked 106 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Default Single actions

The fixed sight 'clones' of the 1873 Colt, Uberti in particular, are pretty decent and reliable revolvers. However, they share the same weaknesses of the original. The flat springs break more often than coil springs and trigger work must done carefully or they can fire without assistance. Some work must be done to insure the sights are regulated to the ammunition used.

The modern Ruger single actions (three screws are better in many ways, but the modern two screw version do well) have adjustable sights, coil springs and typically better metallurgy.

If one is a 'tradition' buff, the Uberti is closer to the original in design and spirit. Except for that cussed brass grip frame.

For an all around using gun, the Ruger simply cannot be beat.
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/