Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Single Action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 7

Default Single Action

I'm thinking of getting a single action and don't know much about them.I saw a sell on gun brokers for a Uberti 1873 hombre in .357 or .45lc for $250 and was wondering if this is a good deal for my first one.These are NIB.And wondering which one I should go with.Thanks

Murfdog

Life Liberty & the Pursuit of H&Ks
P2000sk 9mm NS Lem
P2000sk .40 sw NS Lem
USPc .45acp NS Lem

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1145 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

It depends on what your intended use is for the gun. If it is for Cowboy Action competition, an inexpensive SAA clone would be OK, with its true SAA action. But if it is for hunting, extensive target shooting, or personal protection in the boondocks I'd recommend something a little sturdier. For that, IMHO, you should consider spending a few more buck$ on a Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk, or a Freedom Arms gun. They are good for over 100,000 shots before they wear out, and can handle the hottest reasonable loads you want to stuff them with. Note that they use a transfer-bar ignition system, not the traditional SAA type. But because of that you can safely load all 6 chambers, as they won't fire if you drop the gun.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

Likes Given: 7

I have my H&K's for CCW and home protection.This is just for fun.

Murfdog

Life Liberty & the Pursuit of H&Ks
P2000sk 9mm NS Lem
P2000sk .40 sw NS Lem
USPc .45acp NS Lem

Old 02-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #4

Likes Given: 1

I was a couple keystrokes away from buying a pair of those in .45 Colt..They are not given the better finish of the higher by twice priced models. Would have required a lot of hand finishing to have prepared it for a shiney blue finish on the barrel or for a color case hardened frame..And it has the cheaper to produce cast brass grip frame...All that is just cosmetics...Should be a real good gun, the cowboy action guys like them Ubertis...I aint entirely decided that I wont get one of them for myself ...

Old 02-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #5

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
It depends on what your intended use is for the gun. If it is for Cowboy Action competition, an inexpensive SAA clone would be OK, with its true SAA action. But if it is for hunting, extensive target shooting, or personal protection in the boondocks I'd recommend something a little sturdier. For that, IMHO, you should consider spending a few more buck$ on a Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk, or a Freedom Arms gun. They are good for over 100,000 shots before they wear out, and can handle the hottest reasonable loads you want to stuff them with. Note that they use a transfer-bar ignition system, not the traditional SAA type. But because of that you can safely load all 6 chambers, as they won't fire if you drop the gun.
I'm a little confused by your assessment...my dad competes in cowboy action shooting, and I'm curious as to why you feel they don't require a "sturdier" gun? Between practice and competition, all of which is rapid fire, the SAA's see FAR MORE action than anything else in his safe. That includes hunting, defense, AND range action.

OP...the Uberti's are widely used. I have two cattlemen "birds heads" on order to use for CA, I'll post a report after I get them (they are backordered for three mos now). They are well liked among the cowboy crowd, who without question are the premier shooters of SAA guns today.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The Hombre has the same guts as the others. The finish, brass frame, grips are all utilitarian=inexpensive.
The 45 Colt is a good round for self defense. Just teach yourself to shoot and cock with one hand, just in case.
The Hombre, as most of all the factory guns, will have a stiff hammer spring and a fairly heavy trigger pull. For plinking and other fun shooting it would do. With a factory 250gr @ 850fps, it is a formidable round.

Life is too short to drink cheap booze and argue with stupid people. SASS #29170L
McLeansville, NC by way of WV

Old 02-18-2012, 02:12 AM   #7
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think that's a great deal. Uberti is very popular in the cas world.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #8

Liked 317 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 6

i saw those on GB too, & am still super tempted. we'll hafta see how long my will power holds out.

i've always been a big fan of single action army's & got to hold a uberti in 45 LC at a local gun store the other day (case colored, they wanted $299 used). to me it felt like a very solid gun, nice fit & finish on it for the money.

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 02-18-2012, 11:13 AM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I have a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros in .38/.357 mag. Rugers are great guns. These I own have easy action for CAS but have the Ruger sturdiness for longevity and firing the .357 mags if I choose for home defense.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #10

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdoc357
I have a pair of Ruger New Vaqueros in .38/.357 mag. Rugers are great guns. These I own have easy action for CAS but have the Ruger sturdiness for longevity and firing the .357 mags if I choose for home defense.
Yep...Ruger new vaq is a great little gun for sure. My dad has two in stainless with consecutive serial numbers he uses for CAS. .45 Colt