Silencer for Ruger Super Redhawk? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Silencer for Ruger Super Redhawk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
My Dad and brother had some like this, though with less microphones. Would this kind with 4 mics allow for directional hearing? I'd be surprised if you could tell the difference in a sound 40 yards away, and one 2 yards away, as you usually can while hunting.
I am not sure that these have four mics, all I have ever seen is with two mics, but nevertheless, - Yeah, the sound is a bit funny, but you can get used to it. I wouldn't say they are omnidirectional, but rather somewhat directional, as the mics are forward facing. I have used them for sports but never for hunting, but I would still say if you learn how to "work'em" it should be possible. Now, I got to be honest and say that I have never done any hunting in my life, but applying my skills as an engineer I would say that it should be possible to use them for hunting.

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 12-02-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2767 Times on 1446 Posts
Likes Given: 241

There are amplified ear plugs also that have the same cut out circuitry to protect your hearing. They should allow better directional awareness. Electronic ear muffs are pretty reasonably priced and with experience will not be hard to cope with in the field.

A supressor (silencer) on a revolver is not worth the expense. There is still significant noise from the cylinder gap and the barrel must be threaded to accept the supressor. All in all, with the can, the gunsmithing, the transfer tax ($200) and the sales tax, you could buy a very nice set of electronic ear plugs and keep $500 in your pocket.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

You might give this site a look-see: Walker"s Hearing Enhancement and Protection.

There are also other companies that make electronic hearing protection in stereo. That should help with directional hearing.

Also check your state's hunting laws. It may be legal to own a suppressor but not legal to hunt with one.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #14

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

1. Suppressors on revolvers are worthless. (this we have established).

2. Suppressors are not illegal at all. Maybe in some states but over all if you fill out the paper work get finger printed and pay your $200 tax then you can own a suppressor.

3. You should wear hearing protection. I am getting some custom molded ear plugs from westone (Custom ear plugs, hearing protection & in ear monitors :: Westone) for hunting and range shooting.

4. welcome to the forum.

5. AWC - Silencers, Suppressors, Sniper Rifles, Suppressed Weapon Systems,Sound Suppressor, Sound Technology, Silencer, Suppressor, Gun Silencers Gemtech Home Page Liberty Suppressors - Firearm Sound Suppressors and The Phoenix Flash Hider

Some general info on them. Silencer and Suppressor General Info at Impact Guns Home

Remember to CHECK YOUR STATE LAWS TO SEE IF IT IS LEGAL TO OWN A SUPPRESSOR.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:56 AM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Thanks everyone

I appreciate the responses, even for a newby like me

It seems that a silencer is not my best option at this time after all. I may look into getting some of the hearing protection with microphones, and may check my state laws regarding suppressors out of curiosity for another gun later...

Tags
44 mag., revolver, ruger, silencer